Re: RedHat 7.1 on Inspiron 8000 failes

  • j.hermsen@chello.nl
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
      For me it just died to the shell and told me it was safe to reboot.

      John

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Ryurick M. Hristev" <physrmh@p...>
      wrote:
      > On Thu, 31 May 2001 j.hermsen@c... wrote:
      >
      > > I am trying to install Redhat 7.1 on my inspiron 8000.
      > > When I do this in text or grafical mode, everything works till it
      has
      > > to copy and then it stops and halts the machine.
      >
      > For how long ? When I installed it took 30-60 mins to calculate
      whatever.
      > Looked like it froze but actually didn't.
      >
      > --
      > Cheers,

      > Ryurick M. Hristev ()..()/^\/^\ -
      <:-)
      > R.Hristev@p... \/ \#/\#/\) What opinions ?

    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
        Have you tried a different set of Red Hat CDs?

        -steve

        On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 07:17:20AM -0000, j.hermsen@... wrote:
        > For me it just died to the shell and told me it was safe to reboot.
        >
        > John
        >
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Ryurick M. Hristev" <physrmh@p...>
        > wrote:
        > > On Thu, 31 May 2001 j.hermsen@c... wrote:
        > >
        > > > I am trying to install Redhat 7.1 on my inspiron 8000.
        > > > When I do this in text or grafical mode, everything works till it
        > has
        > > > to copy and then it stops and halts the machine.
        > >
        > > For how long ? When I installed it took 30-60 mins to calculate
        > whatever.
        > > Looked like it froze but actually didn't.
        > >
        > > --
        > > Cheers,

        > > Ryurick M. Hristev ()..()/^\/^\ -
        > <:-)
        > > R.Hristev@p... \/ \#/\#/\) What opinions ?

        "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
      • j.hermsen@chello.nl
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
          Nope, I have only one set, but everything goes realy smooth till it
          starts copying.
          Is there any boot param that I need to give at setup?
          PS, my sysconfiguration only contains the internal modem and I left
          out the PCMCIA cards. Also when I tried Mandrake 8 with one PCMCIA
          card at installation it hung.

          John

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
          > Have you tried a different set of Red Hat CDs?
          >
          > -steve
          >
          > On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 07:17:20AM -0000, j.hermsen@c... wrote:
          > > For me it just died to the shell and told me it was safe to
          reboot.

          > > John
          > >
          > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Ryurick M. Hristev"
          <physrmh@p...>
          > > wrote:

          > > has
          > > >
          > > > For how long ? When I installed it took 30-60 mins to calculate
          > > whatever.
          > > > Looked like it froze but actually didn't.
          > > >
          > > > --
          > > > Cheers,

          > > > Ryurick M. Hristev ()..
          ()/^\/^\ -

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
            Hrm.. I didn't have to give any additional params. I dunno what could
            be wrong... my only other suggestion is to try another set of CDs. Did
            you buy CDs, or download ISOs?

            -steve

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
              I downloaded them from sunet.se.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
                To be more specific, it dies and returns to the shell.
                There it gives the following:
                phyton: header.c:511: headerLoad: Assertion 'rdlen == dl' failed.
                install exited abnormally
                sending termination signals...done
                sending kill........
                .
                .
                .
                you may safely reboot your system.

                Looking at shell4 I see one cardmanager message sayin:
                Card Services release does not match...
                could not open /var/run/cardmgr.pid: %m
                fopen(stabfile) failed: %m

                I tried runing with linux PCMCIA=no, but it still gives this error.
                Is PCMCIA=no the right boot parameter?

                John

              • gregor@leipelt.de
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
                  > To be more specific, it dies and returns to the shell.
                  > There it gives the following:
                  > phyton: header.c:511: headerLoad: Assertion 'rdlen == dl' failed.
                  > install exited abnormally
                  > sending termination signals...done
                  > sending kill........
                  > .
                  > .
                  > .
                  > you may safely reboot your system.
                  >
                  > Looking at shell4 I see one cardmanager message sayin:
                  > Card Services release does not match...
                  > could not open /var/run/cardmgr.pid: %m
                  > fopen(stabfile) failed: %m
                  >
                  > I tried runing with linux PCMCIA=no, but it still gives this error.
                  > Is PCMCIA=no the right boot parameter?
                  >
                  > John

                  As far as I remember, it's NOPCMCIA=yes. Anyway, I had a similar
                  problem on my I8K. For me, the solution was disabling DHCP. At some
                  point during installation RedHat asks how the network (eth0) should
                  be configured and started. I had to *DE*select DHCP. Instead I typed
                  in an arbitrary TCP/IP adress.
                  Gregor
                • j.hermsen@chello.nl
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1, 2001
                    I don't get the DHCP option because I don't have any NIC installed at that time.

                    John