Re: RedHat 7.1 on Inspiron 8000 failes

  • j.hermsen@chello.nl
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1 12:16 AM
      I tried Mandrake 8 and Redhat 6.2 also and they both worked.

      John

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > --
      > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
      student
      > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
      one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    • j.hermsen@chello.nl
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1 12:17 AM
        For me it just died to the shell and told me it was safe to reboot.

        John

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Ryurick M. Hristev" <physrmh@p...>
        wrote:
        > On Thu, 31 May 2001 j.hermsen@c... wrote:
        >
        > > I am trying to install Redhat 7.1 on my inspiron 8000.
        > > When I do this in text or grafical mode, everything works till it
        has
        > > to copy and then it stops and halts the machine.
        >
        > For how long ? When I installed it took 30-60 mins to calculate
        whatever.
        > Looked like it froze but actually didn't.
        >
        > --
        > Cheers,

        > Ryurick M. Hristev ()..()/^\/^\ -
        <:-)
        > R.Hristev@p... \/ \#/\#/\) What opinions ?

      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1 12:18 AM
          Have you tried a different set of Red Hat CDs?

          -steve

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1 12:21 AM
            Nope, I have only one set, but everything goes realy smooth till it
            starts copying.
            Is there any boot param that I need to give at setup?
            PS, my sysconfiguration only contains the internal modem and I left
            out the PCMCIA cards. Also when I tried Mandrake 8 with one PCMCIA
            card at installation it hung.

            John

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
            > Have you tried a different set of Red Hat CDs?
            >
            > -steve
            >
            > On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 07:17:20AM -0000, j.hermsen@c... wrote:
            > > For me it just died to the shell and told me it was safe to
            reboot.

            > > John
            > >
            > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Ryurick M. Hristev"
            <physrmh@p...>
            > > wrote:

            > > has
            > > >
            > > > For how long ? When I installed it took 30-60 mins to calculate
            > > whatever.
            > > > Looked like it froze but actually didn't.
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > > Cheers,

            > > > Ryurick M. Hristev ()..
            ()/^\/^\ -

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1 12:24 AM
              Hrm.. I didn't have to give any additional params. I dunno what could
              be wrong... my only other suggestion is to try another set of CDs. Did
              you buy CDs, or download ISOs?

              -steve

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 1 12:30 AM
                I downloaded them from sunet.se.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 1 12:56 AM
                  To be more specific, it dies and returns to the shell.
                  There it gives the following:
                  phyton: header.c:511: headerLoad: Assertion 'rdlen == dl' failed.
                  install exited abnormally
                  sending termination signals...done
                  sending kill........
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  you may safely reboot your system.

                  Looking at shell4 I see one cardmanager message sayin:
                  Card Services release does not match...
                  could not open /var/run/cardmgr.pid: %m
                  fopen(stabfile) failed: %m

                  I tried runing with linux PCMCIA=no, but it still gives this error.
                  Is PCMCIA=no the right boot parameter?

                  John

                • gregor@leipelt.de
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1 2:04 AM
                    > To be more specific, it dies and returns to the shell.
                    > There it gives the following:
                    > phyton: header.c:511: headerLoad: Assertion 'rdlen == dl' failed.
                    > install exited abnormally
                    > sending termination signals...done
                    > sending kill........
                    > .
                    > .
                    > .
                    > you may safely reboot your system.
                    >
                    > Looking at shell4 I see one cardmanager message sayin:
                    > Card Services release does not match...
                    > could not open /var/run/cardmgr.pid: %m
                    > fopen(stabfile) failed: %m
                    >
                    > I tried runing with linux PCMCIA=no, but it still gives this error.
                    > Is PCMCIA=no the right boot parameter?
                    >
                    > John

                    As far as I remember, it's NOPCMCIA=yes. Anyway, I had a similar
                    problem on my I8K. For me, the solution was disabling DHCP. At some
                    point during installation RedHat asks how the network (eth0) should
                    be configured and started. I had to *DE*select DHCP. Instead I typed
                    in an arbitrary TCP/IP adress.
                    Gregor
                  • j.hermsen@chello.nl
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 1 1:07 PM
                      I don't get the DHCP option because I don't have any NIC installed at that time.

                      John