Re: Redhat 7.1 on an Inspiron 7500

  • ccaper@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2001
      > I remember reading that the linux boot sector has to be under
      > cylinder 1024 on my HD, and I have a 20 gig... I am wanting to dual
      boot my
      > machine with linux and another OS which for my safety I won't name,
      but I
      > was going to give like the first 4 or so gigs to the unnamed OS,
      then
      > another 5 gigs to linux, then the remaining 10 or 11 or so to free
      space for
      > the unnamed.

      As Lau point out, the newest version of Lilo that ships with both
      RedHat 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 doesn't have this limitation. But one
      quick note. Mandrake installs fine with no complaints when /boot is
      above 1024. Using the graphical install with RedHat 7.1 and using
      the graphical partitioner (DiskDruid) wouldn't let me create a /boot
      mounted partition above 1024. Solution on RedHat 7.1, create the
      partitions in fdisk (an option you will be given), and just assign
      the mount points in DiskDruid (a step you will have to do after
      partitioning with fdisk). That worked like a champ with a /boot
      mount above 1024 on a Lat C600.

      One thing to note about the partition layout you mentioned above. If
      the unamed OS is windows, specifically WinNT or W2K, format
      that "remaining 10 or 11 or so to free space for the unnamed" as a
      VFAT32 (or FAT16/32) as opposed to NTFS. That way you can share it
      between you boots. See, W2K and NT can read/write VFAT32 and so can
      Linux. But Linux can ONLY read NTFS, not write. Just a thought.

      > One more question, I have been leaning towards Red Hat 7.1 just
      because I
      > like Red Hat, and I know it has good support. I'm fairly new at
      linux, I've
      > played around with it several times in the past. I've also heard
      good
      > things about Mandrake, so any tips on what I should look at running
      would be
      > appreciated

      Well, I just tried both Madrake 8.0 and RedHat 7.1 installs on a Lat
      C600 for dual booting with a W2K partition, and both were great
      installs. Picked up everything, my vid card at right settings, and
      my sound card. Was a piece of cake. From as far as I know, there
      are only two main differences in Madrake and RedHat. First, Mandrake
      doesn't suffer from as much app bloat options as RedHat does. The
      second, and this one is a biggie, Mandrake only runs on Pentium or
      highers, where RedHat will run on 486's or highers. This means in
      Madrake that most of the libraries and exectuables were compiled with
      pentium flags turned on. Supposedly there is a significant speed up
      in Mandrake over RedHat, but I haven't seen benchmarks. Furthermore,
      Mandrake users most of the config path structures and init startup
      configs that is unique to RedHat, so if you are ever reading docs on
      how to config something in RedHat vs Debian, pretend your install is
      a RedHat when configing Madrake for most things. I ended up going
      with RedHat just because I already support a RedHat server and
      workstation and didn't want to begin tracking updates for multiple
      distros.

      Hope this helps.
      -minnow