[linux-dell-laptops] Redhat 7.1 on an Inspiron 7500

  • Chris Chambliss
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2001
      Hi all, I have just a couple questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me
      out a bit. I have an Inspiron 7500, and I've read up on installing linux on
      this series from Dell, from linux-laptop.net and others, and I was just
      wondering if anyone had any tips/advice that possibly weren't covered on
      there. I remember reading that the linux boot sector has to be under
      cylinder 1024 on my HD, and I have a 20 gig... I am wanting to dual boot my
      machine with linux and another OS which for my safety I won't name, but I
      was going to give like the first 4 or so gigs to the unnamed OS, then
      another 5 gigs to linux, then the remaining 10 or 11 or so to free space for
      the unnamed. Any ideas if this will work well or any better suggestions
      etc? Also, I have a Sony Spressa USB external CD-RW, I was wondering if
      anyone had experience with this type of external CD burner, and whether it
      has good support under linux.

      One more question, I have been leaning towards Red Hat 7.1 just because I
      like Red Hat, and I know it has good support. I'm fairly new at linux, I've
      played around with it several times in the past. I've also heard good
      things about Mandrake, so any tips on what I should look at running would be
      appreciated. Thanks.

      Chris
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2001
        Hi Chris,

        > there. I remember reading that the linux boot sector has to be under
        > cylinder 1024 on my HD, and I have a 20 gig... I am wanting to dual boot my

        If you use a newer version of LILO (the one that comes with RH 7.1
        works), they have gotten around this limit.

        > machine with linux and another OS which for my safety I won't name, but I
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        spill it! spill it! we'll stone ya! :P j/k.

        > One more question, I have been leaning towards Red Hat 7.1 just because I
        > like Red Hat, and I know it has good support. I'm fairly new at linux, I've
        > played around with it several times in the past. I've also heard good
        > things about Mandrake, so any tips on what I should look at running would be
        > appreciated. Thanks.

        A lot of people in here have been installing both RH 7.1 & Mandrake 8.0.
        If you've played with Red Hat before, then I would say just go with
        that.. I've been extremely happy with my Red Hat 7.1 running on my
        Inspiron 8000. Similarly, a lot of people in here have had really good
        experiences with Mandrake 8.0. I'd say you can't go wrong with either..
        As far as I know, neither of them have any problems with PCMCIA, sound,
        or auto-detecting the video.

        cheers,
        steve

        "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
      • ccaper@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31, 2001
          > I remember reading that the linux boot sector has to be under
          > cylinder 1024 on my HD, and I have a 20 gig... I am wanting to dual
          boot my
          > machine with linux and another OS which for my safety I won't name,
          but I
          > was going to give like the first 4 or so gigs to the unnamed OS,
          then
          > another 5 gigs to linux, then the remaining 10 or 11 or so to free
          space for
          > the unnamed.

          As Lau point out, the newest version of Lilo that ships with both
          RedHat 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 doesn't have this limitation. But one
          quick note. Mandrake installs fine with no complaints when /boot is
          above 1024. Using the graphical install with RedHat 7.1 and using
          the graphical partitioner (DiskDruid) wouldn't let me create a /boot
          mounted partition above 1024. Solution on RedHat 7.1, create the
          partitions in fdisk (an option you will be given), and just assign
          the mount points in DiskDruid (a step you will have to do after
          partitioning with fdisk). That worked like a champ with a /boot
          mount above 1024 on a Lat C600.

          One thing to note about the partition layout you mentioned above. If
          the unamed OS is windows, specifically WinNT or W2K, format
          that "remaining 10 or 11 or so to free space for the unnamed" as a
          VFAT32 (or FAT16/32) as opposed to NTFS. That way you can share it
          between you boots. See, W2K and NT can read/write VFAT32 and so can
          Linux. But Linux can ONLY read NTFS, not write. Just a thought.

          > One more question, I have been leaning towards Red Hat 7.1 just
          because I
          > like Red Hat, and I know it has good support. I'm fairly new at
          linux, I've
          > played around with it several times in the past. I've also heard
          good
          > things about Mandrake, so any tips on what I should look at running
          would be
          > appreciated

          Well, I just tried both Madrake 8.0 and RedHat 7.1 installs on a Lat
          C600 for dual booting with a W2K partition, and both were great
          installs. Picked up everything, my vid card at right settings, and
          my sound card. Was a piece of cake. From as far as I know, there
          are only two main differences in Madrake and RedHat. First, Mandrake
          doesn't suffer from as much app bloat options as RedHat does. The
          second, and this one is a biggie, Mandrake only runs on Pentium or
          highers, where RedHat will run on 486's or highers. This means in
          Madrake that most of the libraries and exectuables were compiled with
          pentium flags turned on. Supposedly there is a significant speed up
          in Mandrake over RedHat, but I haven't seen benchmarks. Furthermore,
          Mandrake users most of the config path structures and init startup
          configs that is unique to RedHat, so if you are ever reading docs on
          how to config something in RedHat vs Debian, pretend your install is
          a RedHat when configing Madrake for most things. I ended up going
          with RedHat just because I already support a RedHat server and
          workstation and didn't want to begin tracking updates for multiple
          distros.

          Hope this helps.
          -minnow