Re: Advice wanted for i8K configs

  • camfranchuk@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 9 , May 30, 2001
      You need VMWare Workstation, rather than VMWare Express, in order to
      boot an existing partition. I looked into it but the US$299 price tag
      was a little much. I think I'll stick with dual boot.

      cam

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > --
      > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
      student
      > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
      one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    • Mark Cuss
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30, 2001
        I've tried the whole "boot another partition from VMWare" I had very little
        luck. It was slow, buggy, and eventually torched my Windows 2000
        Partition - My advice is to stay away :)

        Setting up a dual boot isn't hard - I set this up on two I8000's (RH7.1 and
        Windows 2000) - I can send you some of the references if you like

        Mark

        > You need VMWare Workstation, rather than VMWare Express, in order to
        > boot an existing partition. I looked into it but the US$299 price tag
        > was a little much. I think I'll stick with dual boot.
        >
        > cam
        >

        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
        > > I use VMWare 2.0.4 and it works perfectly with Win2000 for me.
        > > Unfortunately, I don't know that you can use it to boot an existing
        > disk
        > > partition. I just let it create a 1.5gb file on my Linux partition
        > and
        > > use that.
        > >
        > > -steve
        > >
        > > On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 06:01:30PM -0000, jpspeno@y... wrote:
        > > > I'm a total Windows/Intel hardware newbie. Sorry!
        > > >
        > > > I'm getting an Inspiron 8K to use primarily with RH linux. I'd
        > like to
        > > > use VMWare when I need Windows. I thought it would be nice to have
        > two
        > > > disks, one for linux and one for Windows and have VMWare use the
        > copy
        > > > of windows on the 2nd disk. I'd also like to be able to boot into
        > > > Windows from the 2nd disk if necessary. Do you know if this will
        > work?
        > > >
        > > > If I have two disks, I'd like to have the combo CD-RW/DVD drive so
        > > > that I wouldn't have to swap bays. Is support for that combo unit
        > > > going to be a problem with Red Hat 7.1?
        > > >
        > > > Or I could go with a single larger disk, partitioned for windows
        > and
        > > > linux, still using VMWare, and use one CD-RW drive and one DVD
        > drive.
        > > > If that's a better solution, please let me know why.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks!

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        > > >

        > > --
        > > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
        > student
        > > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
        > one's mouth and remove all doubt."

      • David Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 9 , May 30, 2001
          Some more complaints on VMWare and Windows 2000...

          I installed vmware, and used it to run Windows2000 from the
          partition. I only got the tryout version to check before deciding,
          and the system started, but it required fiddling around with the
          NT kernel in the windows system, and with the Hardware Abstraction
          Layer (kernel + drivers equivalent). The version of VMWare that I
          have does not support ACPI, only APM.

          Finally the result is that I messed up and Windows2000 is
          unable to use ACPI/APM now, for the last month and a half. It should
          not be a problem if I did not have the Win2000 CDs in Spain :)
          I should have expected reinstalling more often, even if I use windows
          once a week...

          The rest of the system seems fine, no problems with the disk
          partition whatsoever, and the above problem was a mistake of mine, not
          a real problem (In fact it had to do also with some repartitioning
          going on, not just vmware/win2000). But anyway I still can live without
          Windows.

          BTW, I have not been able to install Dell's software under vmware
          as it does not detect that the machine is a dell.

          David

          On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 02:59:56PM -0600, Mark Cuss wrote:
          > I've tried the whole "boot another partition from VMWare" I had very little
          > luck. It was slow, buggy, and eventually torched my Windows 2000
          > Partition - My advice is to stay away :)
          >
          > Setting up a dual boot isn't hard - I set this up on two I8000's (RH7.1 and
          > Windows 2000) - I can send you some of the references if you like

          David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living Form
          University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
          Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
          Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 9 , May 30, 2001
            I have to vouch for VMWare with regards to running a file-based Win2000
            system under Linux's own filesystem. It runs great... I basically use
            it for Office2000 (Word, Excel & Powerpoint - and despite what anyone
            says, neither StarOffice,AbiWord,Wordperfect,etc. can compare to MS's
            Office suite). I also use it for Internet Explorer on those really
            really pesky sites that just won't work in Konqueror/Mozilla.
            Speed-wise, it's great... I've been able to trick people into thinking
            i'm running windows by making VMWare go full screen. Sound output is
            a little choppy...but I hardly need to use multi-media apps under it
            anyway.

            -steve

            Message 5 of 9 , May 30, 2001
              On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 06:52:56PM -0400, Philip P. Dixon wrote:
              > I'm not sure about this one. I have the separate CD-RW and DVD drives. The
              > only problem you may run into is whether or not you have DVD issues when you use
              > ide-scsi on that drive. You may have to set up two separate lilo entries, one
              > specifying append="hdc=ide-scsi" to burn cds, one without that line to play
              > DVDs. It may not be an issue.

              This is not needed. I use both the CDRW and the DVD with ide-scsi emulation.
              I have not been able to descramble DVDs yet, but it does read the data. It is a
              problem with my (mis)configuration of xine. I'll fix it if I find the time.

              David

              David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living Form
              University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
              Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
              Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain
            • Philip P. Dixon
              Message 6 of 9 , May 30, 2001
                > I'm getting an Inspiron 8K to use primarily with RH linux. I'd like to
                > use VMWare when I need Windows. I thought it would be nice to have two
                > disks, one for linux and one for Windows and have VMWare use the copy
                > of windows on the 2nd disk. I'd also like to be able to boot into
                > Windows from the 2nd disk if necessary. Do you know if this will work?

                This will work fine. When you create your vmware session for Win2K, make sure
                you choose to use a physical disk install, not a virtual disk (just a file). I
                don't have this set up myself, but a friend of mine does. You'll have to create
                two separate hardware configurations in Win2K, one to use your native drivers
                when booting from the hard drive, and the other to use the vmware drivers when
                running through VMWare.

                > If I have two disks, I'd like to have the combo CD-RW/DVD drive so
                > that I wouldn't have to swap bays. Is support for that combo unit
                > going to be a problem with Red Hat 7.1?

                I'm not sure about this one. I have the separate CD-RW and DVD drives. The
                only problem you may run into is whether or not you have DVD issues when you use
                ide-scsi on that drive. You may have to set up two separate lilo entries, one
                specifying append="hdc=ide-scsi" to burn cds, one without that line to play
                DVDs. It may not be an issue.

                > Or I could go with a single larger disk, partitioned for windows and
                > linux, still using VMWare, and use one CD-RW drive and one DVD drive.
                > If that's a better solution, please let me know why.

                I've got the 32GB drive and have no issues with space:

                s2d 575MB OS/2 hidden
                swap 512MB swap
                / 5GB ext2
                /boot 55KB ext2
                /home 5GB ext2
                /vmware 6GB ext2
                /windata 5GB fat32

                You can see I've got about 9GB of unpartitioned space left on the disk. Root is
                50% empty, home is only 4% full, vmware is 1/3 full but I'll expand it as
                needed, and /windata is at 80% capacity. I think a 32GB drive should be more
                than enough for some time. As for a second hard drive, I haven't looked at
                them, but be leary of a modular one. I had to swap out a bad 32GB drive and
                borrowed a friend's modular bay to transfer data. It took forever to boot off
                of the modular drive, something that was really noticeable. It took about twice
                as long. When transferring data, it got so bad I opted to reinstall that drive
                in the primary bay, dump the data off on my home network, then pull it back to
                the new drive.

                I have a RH 7.1 install with Win2K running in VMWare. I'll soon expand my
                vmware OS's to FreeBSD and Solaris x86. One thing to note, VMWare limits
                virtual disks to 2GB. This doesn't seem to be an issue when using a physical
                disk.

                Philip Dixon
                Collective Technologies
              • Philip P. Dixon
                Message 7 of 9 , May 30, 2001
                  Stephen Lau wrote:

                  > I have to vouch for VMWare with regards to running a file-based Win2000
                  > system under Linux's own filesystem. It runs great... I basically use
                  > it for Office2000 (Word, Excel & Powerpoint - and despite what anyone
                  > says, neither StarOffice,AbiWord,Wordperfect,etc. can compare to MS's
                  > Office suite). I also use it for Internet Explorer on those really
                  > really pesky sites that just won't work in Konqueror/Mozilla.
                  > Speed-wise, it's great... I've been able to trick people into thinking
                  > i'm running windows by making VMWare go full screen. Sound output is
                  > a little choppy...but I hardly need to use multi-media apps under it
                  > anyway.
                  >
                  > -steve

                  I'd have to agree. I have absolutely NO problems running Win2K, SP2 under
                  VMWare 2.04 Workstation on RH 7.1. It's pretty fast, very stable, and the only
                  thing that I find unusable is sound--unless you just want beeps and chirps for
                  errors :) It's true that the Dell software will not install, but there's
                  nothing I've found I need. I was most distraught over not being able to install
                  WinDVD until I realized sound would be an issue. Besides, Xine with libcss runs
                  great for me.

                  Phil