Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: I5ke Ethernet/Modem Recommendations?

  • Marc Fellman
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2001
      Aanhalen "Mark K. Gardner" <mkg@...>:

      > On Thu, 24 May 2001 18:23:27 -0500, David Rodriguez wrote:
      > > Also on the install of the Xircom... Do you know whether it is a
      > > winmodem or a regular modem? what the chipset is? what problems you
      > > encountered while trying to use it? This would help diagnose the
      > > possible problem (for people that don't have the same card).
      >
      > I pretty sure it is a regular modem, which is why I bought it instead
      > of the winmodem. According to the pcmcia-cs modules list of supported
      > cards (under the multifunction ethernet/modem card section), "support
      > is experimental and unreliable". I second that assessment, especially
      > for the modem half of the card.

      In Mandrake 8.0 it works out of the box for me on a i5ke. The modem is a regular
      modem. Allthough I haven't tested it jet it worked perfectly under Mandrake 7.2.

      > It appears that Per Marker Mortensen has the card working. (See his
      > follow up for details.) I'll have to give his suggestion a try. In the
      > meantime, I got so tired of working with it that I orderd a 3COM
      > 3C3FEM556C which pcmcia-cs supports. If I get time, I will try to get
      > the Xircom working...
      >
      > > On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 02:08:55PM -0600, Mark K. Gardner wrote:
      > >> I purchased a I5000e nearly a year ago for the 1600x1400, which I
      > >> absolutely love.
      > >>
      > >> I also bought a Xircom RBEM56G-100 PCMCIA ethernet/modem card.
      > Using
      > >> the promiscuous option (which no longer needs to be supplied with
      > the
      > >> latest pcmcia-cs package), I have been able to get the ethernet to
      > >> work. I have never been able to get the modem to work. Has anyone
      > been
      > >> able to get it to work? What did you do?
      > >>
      > >> If not, what ethernet/modem combo card would you recommend? I would
      > >> prefer to have a combo card but if that is not possible... What 56K
      > >> modem card would you recommend? Is it a winmodem?
      > >>
      > >> TIA,
      > >>
      > >> Mark
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > --
      > Mark K. Gardner
      > RADIANT Team, Advanced Computing (CCS-1)
      > Computer and Computational Sciences Division
      > Los Alamos National Laboratory
      > P.O. Box 1663, M.S. D451
      > Los Alamos, NM 87545
      > Email: mkg@...
      > WWW: http://public.lanl.gov/mkg/
      > Phone: 1-505-665-4953

      Dit bericht was verstuurd met IMP: fellsoft.homeip.net
    • Per Marker Mortensen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2001
        At Wed, 30 May 2001 08:04:29 -0600,
        Mark K. Gardner <mkg@...> wrote:

        > It appears that Per Marker Mortensen has the card working. (See his
        > follow up for details.) I'll have to give his suggestion a try. In the

        There is currently a lot of work on the linux-kernel maillinglist
        about the card. It seems like two or three people have decided that
        now it is time to get the card working 100% perfect.

        There work is in 2.4.5ac10, but it is not finished yet.

        Per Marker Mortensen