Re: Installing Linux-Mandrake 7.2 on a Inspiron 8000

  • bkasa@islanddata.com
    Message 1 of 16 , May 30, 2001
      Well, I don't really need to edit the file any more, but thanks for
      all the suggestions. As for the learning curve for vi, I don't need
      to worry about that either. I use emacs quite a bit at work, and
      that isn't so bad. (Although one of my coworkers insists that it is
      MUCH better than vi. ;-) I haven't tried vi yet, so I can't compare.)
      Anyway, unless I can figure out why X won't start, I will just have
      to get Mandrake 8.0. (Or try out Red Hat). Any other suggestions
      are welcome.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
      > I second Marc's suggestion... it sounds like you're pretty new to
      Linux
      > - so Mandrake 8.0 would be a good starting point for you.
      >
      > -steve
      >
      > On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 06:58:56PM -0000, bkasa@i... wrote:
      > > I was thinking of just switching over to Mandrake 8.0. There are
      > > supposed to be quite a few fixes that would help me a lot (such
      as
      > > PCMCIA support). Would this fix my problems?
      > >
      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Marc Fellman <m.fellman@v...>
      wrote:

      If
      > > you
      > > probably
      > > distribution,
      and
      > > begins
      > > > >

      > > > I saw hat you also had a problem using startx. This is the
      problem
      > > you should
      > > > fix. Maybe you should install Mandrake 8.0 instead. Another
      thing
      > > you could do
      > > > is look in the files section to get a XF86Config-4 file for
      your
      > > laptop. I have
      > > > a i5ke so I can't help you with that.
      > > >
      > > > Marc

      > > ----
      Living
      > > Form
      > > ----
      de
      > > Madrid
      > > Telecomunicación
      Madrid,

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > --
      > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
      student
      > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
      one's mouth and remove all doubt."