Floppy device: mount/umount

  • Marc Audard
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30 4:51 AM

      I have a DELL Inspiron 4000 coming with a hot swapable CD-RW
      and FD. During the installation, I had the CD_RW in the swap
      bay and the FD attached to the parallel port.

      When later I removed the FD, a df -k made the shell hang,
      waiting to reach /dev/fd0. Similar was during shutdown,
      where it was waiting for fd0. In both cases, after a minute
      or so, FAT bread failed and the system went on.

      TO remove this problem, I have changed the /etc/fstab such
      that /dev/fd0 is not mounted (noauto keyword). However, when
      I want to use the FD, if I change the swap (during the laptop
      is down) and boot, and then mount -t vfat /dev/fdo0 /mnt/floppy,
      the FD is not detected. However, if I remove the noauto
      keyword in /etc/fstab, it is detected.

      This is a bit annoying to always change the /etc/fstab file
      (though I rarely use the FD). However, is there a cleaner
      way to do?

      Marc