[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Ready to take the plung!

  • Brian Kane
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
      See my post on this subject:

      http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/438.html?

      I used partition magic and efdisk to do the partitioning w/o affecting the
      Dell install of Win98. You'll need to leave hda1 as-is and hda2 as Fat32
      (in my case resized to 4GB), make hda3 a 20MB ext2 partition (/boot), then
      in the extended partition you'll have hda5 for NTFS, and hda6 for EXT2
      (root).

      Its really slick being able to triple boot the machine with NT's
      bootloader....

      HTH,
      Brian

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
        Bad news Brian, I don't have a 100meg(hda1) as you referred to in your
        http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/438.html? document. I
        only have 1 partition hda1 and it's fat32 11gig.
      • Brian Kane
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
          Well, then how does your machine do "suspend-to-disk"?! I've got suspend to
          disk working in Windows and Linux....

          Dell has a utility to recreate this partition if you need it. Otherwise,
          just disregard that partition. Basically, you need to have two bootable
          partitions in the first 8GB of the drive. WinNT/2K will put its bootloader
          on one, and LILO will go on the other. Resize your Fat32 partition, install
          Linux and create the necessary partitions for /boot and / during setup.
          After that's all done setup Win2k and allow it to make an NTFS partition in
          the unpartitioned space remaining....

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
            I'll give it a shot and let you know the outcome. Thanks for the advice.