[linux-dell-laptops] Ready to take the plung!

  • Phillip Corbin
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
      Okay, I have Caldera 2.3 and RH 6.1 and am ready to prepare my Dell
      Latitude CPI A400 for install. I have a 11g drive and it's ALL fat32
      with 98se. I have Partition Magic 4.0 and I'm backing up my machine
      now as I type this. I want to resize the partition to make room for
      Windows 2000 AND Linux. I want 3 systems to boot from. Has anyone
      done this already and if so, how do you set up your partitions without
      breaking what you have? I have read that there are problems with linux
      not being able to boot because of the boot partition being to large or
      something like that. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
    • John Taylor
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
        I have mine set up in this way. I myself just wiped everything clean and
        started fresh. I don't like the way they in stall the OS. If you dont want to
        wipe everything out, you should still be able to do this with Partition Magic.
        Here is what I did... Make two primary partitions, one for Win98 and Win2000,
        and the other for Linux. I think the only limiting factor on the Linux boot
        partition is that it be within the first 1024 cylinders (or 8GB on my hard
        drive). I am not sure if that is standard or varies from drive to drive (I have
        the 25GB). Then have as many logical drives as you like, for both Windows and
        Linux. I also use system commander as the boot mechanism, very nice tool.

        Okay, I have Caldera 2.3 and RH 6.1 and am ready to prepare my Dell
        Latitude CPI A400 for install. I have a 11g drive and it's ALL fat32
        with 98se. I have Partition Magic 4.0 and I'm backing up my machine
        now as I type this. I want to resize the partition to make room for
        Windows 2000 AND Linux. I want 3 systems to boot from. Has anyone
        done this already and if so, how do you set up your partitions without
        breaking what you have? I have read that there are problems with linux
        not being able to boot because of the boot partition being to large or
        something like that. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

        Luck o' the Irish! Get your St. Paddy's day party supplies at
        GreatEntertaining.com today. Green salami, brew kits, shamrock
        confetti, gold coins, & more. Erin Go Bragh!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/2042/3/_/4243/_/952527062/

        -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=linux-dell-laptops&m=1
      • Brian Kane
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
          See my post on this subject:

          http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/438.html?

          I used partition magic and efdisk to do the partitioning w/o affecting the
          Dell install of Win98. You'll need to leave hda1 as-is and hda2 as Fat32
          (in my case resized to 4GB), make hda3 a 20MB ext2 partition (/boot), then
          in the extended partition you'll have hda5 for NTFS, and hda6 for EXT2
          (root).

          Its really slick being able to triple boot the machine with NT's
          bootloader....

          HTH,
          Brian

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
            Bad news Brian, I don't have a 100meg(hda1) as you referred to in your
            http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/438.html? document. I
            only have 1 partition hda1 and it's fat32 11gig.
          • Brian Kane
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
              Well, then how does your machine do "suspend-to-disk"?! I've got suspend to
              disk working in Windows and Linux....

              Dell has a utility to recreate this partition if you need it. Otherwise,
              just disregard that partition. Basically, you need to have two bootable
              partitions in the first 8GB of the drive. WinNT/2K will put its bootloader
              on one, and LILO will go on the other. Resize your Fat32 partition, install
              Linux and create the necessary partitions for /boot and / during setup.
              After that's all done setup Win2k and allow it to make an NTFS partition in
              the unpartitioned space remaining....

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
                I'll give it a shot and let you know the outcome. Thanks for the advice.