Inspiron 8000, Linux, and GeForce 2 Go 32Mb

  • Dan Mayer
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27 2:05 PM
      I just got my Inspiron 8000 a few days ago and it is great! The
      gaming is most excllent with the Nvidia chip with 32Mb of RAM.

      I just installed Slackware Linux 7.1 on it with Xfree86 4.01 and the
      latest Nvidia drivers. Everything works great, including 1600x1200
      on the 15" UXGA screen, but when I exit graphics mode via shutting
      the X down right, the forceful way, or switching to a virtual
      console, the screen leaves a graphical mess that is someone bright
      and may have faint images of what was on the graphics screen when it
      is shut down or switched from.

      I have tried messing with the refresh rates at every res, including
      low res. I even disabled framebuffer console support in the kernel
      which I use and nothing. It just drives me nuts. The console is
      still there because I can restart the X server fine and it looks fine
      after it starts up, but does not exit right even after restarting
      it. I can also reboot and halt the system, and the screen goes back
      to normal. I use kernel 2.4.4 as that is the only kernel version
      besides 2.2.16 which comes with Slackware to get working with my
      PCMCIA slots. This is because Slackware-current has kernel 2.4.4
      with the latest PCMCIA package so I just downloaded that package. It
      also has kernel 2.2.19 which probably would work just fine as well..

      I do not believe it is a kernel verison issue..just maybe a driver
      issue. I detects the chip as the GeForce 2 Go and the right amount
      of ram. I turned off the EDID to get the higher res, but even with
      it on at a lower res, it still does that..

      Anyhow get their Inspiron working in Linux graphics mode with the
      Nvidia drivers and can shut X off normally? This is just stumping
      me..
    • pp@bvdep.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28 2:31 AM

        Just download the lastest NVidia X server (v1.251); it will fix some
        things but not all; NVidia has started a special support for the
        Geforce 2 GO in the Dell laptop in their new server...

        PeP

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Dan Mayer" <martog@l...> wrote:
        > I just got my Inspiron 8000 a few days ago and it is great! The
        > gaming is most excllent with the Nvidia chip with 32Mb of RAM.
        >
        > I just installed Slackware Linux 7.1 on it with Xfree86 4.01 and
        the
        > latest Nvidia drivers. Everything works great, including 1600x1200
        > on the 15" UXGA screen, but when I exit graphics mode via shutting
        > the X down right, the forceful way, or switching to a virtual
        > console, the screen leaves a graphical mess that is someone bright
        > and may have faint images of what was on the graphics screen when
        it
        > is shut down or switched from.
        >
        > I have tried messing with the refresh rates at every res, including
        > low res. I even disabled framebuffer console support in the kernel
        > which I use and nothing. It just drives me nuts. The console is
        > still there because I can restart the X server fine and it looks
        fine
        > after it starts up, but does not exit right even after restarting
        > it. I can also reboot and halt the system, and the screen goes
        back
        > to normal. I use kernel 2.4.4 as that is the only kernel version
        > besides 2.2.16 which comes with Slackware to get working with my
        > PCMCIA slots. This is because Slackware-current has kernel 2.4.4
        > with the latest PCMCIA package so I just downloaded that package.
        It
        > also has kernel 2.2.19 which probably would work just fine as well..
        >
        > I do not believe it is a kernel verison issue..just maybe a driver
        > issue. I detects the chip as the GeForce 2 Go and the right amount
        > of ram. I turned off the EDID to get the higher res, but even with
        > it on at a lower res, it still does that..
        >
        > Anyhow get their Inspiron working in Linux graphics mode with the
        > Nvidia drivers and can shut X off normally? This is just stumping
        > me..
      • Daniel Mayer
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28 7:20 AM
          Huh..I never heard of the Nvidia X server, where can I download it at? I
          just only knew about the Nvidia drivers for Linux which work great on my
          desktop system with a GeForce 2 GTS 32Mb.

          Dan

          pp@... wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Just download the lastest NVidia X server (v1.251); it will fix some
          > things but not all; NVidia has started a special support for the
          > Geforce 2 GO in the Dell laptop in their new server...
          >
          > PeP
          >
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Dan Mayer" <martog@l...> wrote:
          > > I just got my Inspiron 8000 a few days ago and it is great! The
          > > gaming is most excllent with the Nvidia chip with 32Mb of RAM.
          > >
          > > I just installed Slackware Linux 7.1 on it with Xfree86 4.01 and
          > the
          > > latest Nvidia drivers. Everything works great, including 1600x1200
          > > on the 15" UXGA screen, but when I exit graphics mode via shutting
          > > the X down right, the forceful way, or switching to a virtual
          > > console, the screen leaves a graphical mess that is someone bright
          > > and may have faint images of what was on the graphics screen when
          > it
          > > is shut down or switched from.
          > >
          > > I have tried messing with the refresh rates at every res, including
          > > low res. I even disabled framebuffer console support in the kernel
          > > which I use and nothing. It just drives me nuts. The console is
          > > still there because I can restart the X server fine and it looks
          > fine
          > > after it starts up, but does not exit right even after restarting
          > > it. I can also reboot and halt the system, and the screen goes
          > back
          > > to normal. I use kernel 2.4.4 as that is the only kernel version
          > > besides 2.2.16 which comes with Slackware to get working with my
          > > PCMCIA slots. This is because Slackware-current has kernel 2.4.4
          > > with the latest PCMCIA package so I just downloaded that package.
          > It
          > > also has kernel 2.2.19 which probably would work just fine as well..
          > >
          > > I do not believe it is a kernel verison issue..just maybe a driver
          > > issue. I detects the chip as the GeForce 2 Go and the right amount
          > > of ram. I turned off the EDID to get the higher res, but even with
          > > it on at a lower res, it still does that..
          > >
          > > Anyhow get their Inspiron working in Linux graphics mode with the
          > > Nvidia drivers and can shut X off normally? This is just stumping
          > > me..

        • Daniel Mayer
          Message 4 of 5 , May 28 7:26 AM
            Oh, nevermind. Drivers, not a server. I found them, just wish Nvidia would
            update their site more often to include the newest drivers they put out onto
            their FTP server..

            Dan

          • wcburton2
            Message 5 of 5 , May 29 4:31 AM