[linux-dell-laptops] Mandrake 7.0 Install Problems

  • Ron Racine
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7 8:05 PM
      I am attempting to install linux Mandrake 7.0 deluxeon the following
      machine:

      Dell Lattitude LM166ST Laptop
      40 MB Ram
      2.1 GB Hard Disk
      Neomagic 128ZV Video Card with 1.1MB Ram, VESA 2.0 compliant
      Windows 98 (release 2) on a 1GB Partition
      One 1GB extended Partition (empty)

      I am having the following problems:

      1) Using the boot disk that came with Mandrake, after reaching the
      message saying "Level 1 of install", I get the following message
      "X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't Connect: errno = 111"

      2) If I try entering "linux text" at the boot prompt with the mandrake
      boot disk, the program locks up when it gets to the language selection
      screen.

      3) I copied the txt_boot.img to a floppy and booted it from it. When I
      use "workstation" install, I get to the point after I have selected
      some packages to install and it says "535 MB required, disk space not
      available". If I select "install anyway" in copies all the files, and
      when it is done copying I get a "install program exited with signal 11"
      and it tells me to reboot. A few times I have tried to go back to
      custom after the disk space error, and it looks like the system is
      creating 3 partions, 1 boot, 1 linux, and 1 swap.

      Is there something wrong with the computer, or is it just this version
      of Mandrake? Any ideas on how get around these issues?

      Regards,

      Ron R.