[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Dual boot NT/2000 with Linux

  • Brian P. Kane
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2000
      Hi, Loc-

      This is easy...once you know what to do, so don't sweat it. I just did
      this, but I also boot Win98. A guy named Todd at Dell was very helpful
      to me, so I will pass on what I learned in doing this.

      I'm assuming only one hard drive. Basically, you'll have the suspend to
      disk partition (hda1, 100MB), then an NTFS partion (hda2), then a Linux
      Ext2 boot partion (hda3, 20MB), then an extended partion with a linux Ext2
      root partition (hda5) and possibly other partitions (hda6, hda7,
      either NTFS, FAT or Ext2), too. The NTFS partition should be no more
      than 7GB, because the linux boot partition has to be in the first 8GB, I
      believe. Install NT or 2000 on the hda2 partition (this one should be
      active), then install Linux, putting the boot loader on hda3. (To get
      Linux running initially, you can either make a boot floppy during setup or
      use fdisk to make hda3 active. Make hda2 active again to boot Win.)

      To get the winNT/2K boot loader to boot Linux, you need to use dd in
      Linux. I can't remember the exact syntax, so look at the dd man
      page. Basically you need to write the first 512 bytes of /dev/hda3 or
      /boot out to a DOS floppy. It goes something like this:
      dd if=/boot of=/mnt/floppy/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

      Now, boot into WinNT/2K and copy the boostsect.lnx file to C:\. Edit
      boot.ini, and add the following line

      C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"

      Reboot and you should be able to startup either Win or Linux.

      Hope that helps!!
      Brian