[linux-dell-laptops] Re: No Subject

  • Marc Laforest
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2000
      "loc ta" <loct-@...> wrote:
      =436
      > I'm a newbie and want to dual boot NT or Win2K Pro with my RH 6.1. I
      > initially installed NT 4.0 SP 5.0 and then I installed RH 6.1.
      > However, I can't get it to boot to a partition where I can choose
      > between the two? I have tried deleting both partitions and
      > reinstalling but to no avail. I'm frustrated and I know this should
      be
      > easy and I apologize for that. But what should I do? How do I
      > partition my drives correctly?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Loc

      Are you aware that a standard installation with Linux will
      install LILO onto the Master Boot record but that windows NT
      does not like any files (other than it's own) to be placed
      onto the MBR? Windows NT will get rid of LILO if it
      discovers it. This means that you have to make sure that
      you are trying to boot Linux from Loadlin or from a
      disk. Windows 95/95 do not have this trouble.

      Visit the following for more information:
      http://www.control-escape.com/bootload.html

      Marc
    • Brian P. Kane
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2000
        Hi, Loc-

        This is easy...once you know what to do, so don't sweat it. I just did
        this, but I also boot Win98. A guy named Todd at Dell was very helpful
        to me, so I will pass on what I learned in doing this.

        I'm assuming only one hard drive. Basically, you'll have the suspend to
        disk partition (hda1, 100MB), then an NTFS partion (hda2), then a Linux
        Ext2 boot partion (hda3, 20MB), then an extended partion with a linux Ext2
        root partition (hda5) and possibly other partitions (hda6, hda7,
        either NTFS, FAT or Ext2), too. The NTFS partition should be no more
        than 7GB, because the linux boot partition has to be in the first 8GB, I
        believe. Install NT or 2000 on the hda2 partition (this one should be
        active), then install Linux, putting the boot loader on hda3. (To get
        Linux running initially, you can either make a boot floppy during setup or
        use fdisk to make hda3 active. Make hda2 active again to boot Win.)

        To get the winNT/2K boot loader to boot Linux, you need to use dd in
        Linux. I can't remember the exact syntax, so look at the dd man
        page. Basically you need to write the first 512 bytes of /dev/hda3 or
        /boot out to a DOS floppy. It goes something like this:
        dd if=/boot of=/mnt/floppy/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

        Now, boot into WinNT/2K and copy the boostsect.lnx file to C:\. Edit
        boot.ini, and add the following line

        C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"

        Reboot and you should be able to startup either Win or Linux.

        Hope that helps!!
        Brian