[linux-dell-laptops] No Subject

  • Loc Ta
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2000
      I'm a newbie and want to dual boot NT or Win2K Pro with my RH 6.1. I
      initially installed NT 4.0 SP 5.0 and then I installed RH 6.1.
      However, I can't get it to boot to a partition where I can choose
      between the two? I have tried deleting both partitions and
      reinstalling but to no avail. I'm frustrated and I know this should be
      easy and I apologize for that. But what should I do? How do I
      partition my drives correctly?

      Thanks.

      Loc
    • Marc Laforest
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2000
        "loc ta" <loct-@...> wrote:
        =436
        > I'm a newbie and want to dual boot NT or Win2K Pro with my RH 6.1. I
        > initially installed NT 4.0 SP 5.0 and then I installed RH 6.1.
        > However, I can't get it to boot to a partition where I can choose
        > between the two? I have tried deleting both partitions and
        > reinstalling but to no avail. I'm frustrated and I know this should
        be
        > easy and I apologize for that. But what should I do? How do I
        > partition my drives correctly?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Loc

        Are you aware that a standard installation with Linux will
        install LILO onto the Master Boot record but that windows NT
        does not like any files (other than it's own) to be placed
        onto the MBR? Windows NT will get rid of LILO if it
        discovers it. This means that you have to make sure that
        you are trying to boot Linux from Loadlin or from a
        disk. Windows 95/95 do not have this trouble.

        Visit the following for more information:
        http://www.control-escape.com/bootload.html

        Marc
      • Brian P. Kane
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2000
          Hi, Loc-

          This is easy...once you know what to do, so don't sweat it. I just did
          this, but I also boot Win98. A guy named Todd at Dell was very helpful
          to me, so I will pass on what I learned in doing this.

          I'm assuming only one hard drive. Basically, you'll have the suspend to
          disk partition (hda1, 100MB), then an NTFS partion (hda2), then a Linux
          Ext2 boot partion (hda3, 20MB), then an extended partion with a linux Ext2
          root partition (hda5) and possibly other partitions (hda6, hda7,
          either NTFS, FAT or Ext2), too. The NTFS partition should be no more
          than 7GB, because the linux boot partition has to be in the first 8GB, I
          believe. Install NT or 2000 on the hda2 partition (this one should be
          active), then install Linux, putting the boot loader on hda3. (To get
          Linux running initially, you can either make a boot floppy during setup or
          use fdisk to make hda3 active. Make hda2 active again to boot Win.)

          To get the winNT/2K boot loader to boot Linux, you need to use dd in
          Linux. I can't remember the exact syntax, so look at the dd man
          page. Basically you need to write the first 512 bytes of /dev/hda3 or
          /boot out to a DOS floppy. It goes something like this:
          dd if=/boot of=/mnt/floppy/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

          Now, boot into WinNT/2K and copy the boostsect.lnx file to C:\. Edit
          boot.ini, and add the following line

          C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"

          Reboot and you should be able to startup either Win or Linux.

          Hope that helps!!
          Brian