[linux-dell-laptops] docking station with X on r400gt

  • Ryan Hobus
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2000
      Hello-
      I have a Latitude r400gt with a cport II dock and 19" Dell m990 Monitor
      dual booting between Win 98 and Red Hat 6.1. I was able to get Xfree86
      3.3.5 working fine on the LCD screen, and now am interested in pushing
      the edge of the envelope further. I ultimately would like it to mirror
      what the win 98 side does, uses the LCD out of the dock, and the
      monitor when it is docked.

      Here are my questions:
      1. Is it possible to set X up to auto switch between the internal
      display and the external display when undocked/docked? I am assuming
      that this is a little above and beyond what X is capable of today, but
      I am still a bit green as far as XF86 stuff goes. Anyone have a solid
      answer?

      2. In the event #1 is too difficult/not possible, does X support
      multiple XF86Config files? Say one with "intern_disp" enabled and one
      with the "extern_disp" enabled, and some sort of prompting/different
      command line to choose between the two. In my tests, activating the
      "intern_disp" and "extern_disp" worked well apart, but had problems
      when placed together. When the Dell is docked, the lid is shut, having
      the LCD on could cause damage.

      3. What are the ranges that the lcd can handle on the horizontal sync
      and Vertical refresh? I was using 31.5-48.5 on the horizontal and 60
      for the refresh. The M990 monitor will handle a lot higher, but I want
      to make sure that if I switch displays quickly in the XF86Config file,
      I dont run the risk of damaging the LCD due to the monitor refresh
      being cranked up.

      Any Help is greatly appreciated. I would be glad to detail how I was
      able to get X working if anyone is interested. (I figured it out off
      this list and a few other places :-)

      Ryan
    • Kev Hall
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2000
        Hello Ryan,

        I have a similar configuration to you, and suffered similar problems
        by the sound of it.

        In answer to your questions, here is what I have uncovered:

        1. I've not yet found a way to make X automatically switch, and haven't
        found anyone else that has either. Setting both intern_disp and
        extern_
        disp has some interesting side effects, as you noted, and doesn't really
        seem to work.

        2. To make the swap automatic, I added lines to rc.local to test for
        and
        source another script during the bootup sequence.

        This script moves the current XF86Config file out of the way, and then
        does a test using ifconfig to see if eth0 is set up. This is defined
        as the 3c905 interface on my docking station. If so, it copies
        a file for the external monitor to XF86Config, and if not, copies over
        the LCD definition. This gets around the multiple config files and
        auto switching nicely.

        3. I'm not too sure about this, as I defined my XF86Config files
        separately.
        Maybe you should think about writing another set of scripts to switch
        over the XF86Config files and restart X for you.

        I had plenty of fun getting the NeoMagic 256ZX working, and still have
        occaisional glitches, so if you discover any more hints and tricks
        along the
        way, I'm always grateful for more information. Most of the
        ideas/methods
        I've used can be found on http://wkweb4.cableinet.co.uk/~khall/linux,
        as are
        copies of the scripts I used for the autoswitch.

        Cheers

        Kev