[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Dell Inspiron 5000 with DVD and 15 SVGA+

  • Marc Laforest
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2000
      "dan heim" <lazahe-@...> wrote:
      > I am thinking about buying this system and trying to find any problems
      > Linux has with the hardware. Does latest Xfree86 server work? Any DVD
      > issues or problems with Speedstep processors? Any info would be
      > appreciated.

      The Dell Inspiron 5000 is identical to the Quantex W Series
      notebook which I recently purchased. I noticed this when a friend
      of mine bought a I5000.

      Nicolai Langfeldt has recently constructed a webpage detailing
      his installation on a I5000. Visit the linux-laptops webpage at

      and look for the link to I5000. If you have looked recently but
      couldn't find it then look again because it was posted
      about a day or two ago.

      By the way, the DVD-ROM is recognized as a CD-ROM and
      I did the installation from the CD-ROM. The specs for the 15''
      screen are at his page. You'll need the XFree86 3.3.6. Nicolai
      recommends the hacked kernel from Steve Hsieh Inspiron 7500
      webpage but I got the X windows to work ( but not the mouse?? )
      without it. If I can't get the mouse right I'll try Steve's hacked

      Good Luck, Marc