I8K Vertical and Horizontal Refresh?

  • mike.yahoo@snitzer.net
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 2001
      does anyone know what the vertical and horizontal refresh ranges are
      for a 14" SXGA+ display on a I8K?

      thanks,

      Mike
    • jpr200012@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5, 2001
        I have the 15'' UXGA display and would really like to know the
        correct vertical & horizontal refresh rates.... is there anyway to
        find this out???

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., mike.yahoo@s... wrote:
        > does anyone know what the vertical and horizontal refresh ranges
        are
        > for a 14" SXGA+ display on a I8K?
        >
        > thanks,

        Mike
      • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2001
          > I have the 15'' UXGA display and would really like to know the
          > correct vertical & horizontal refresh rates.... is there anyway to
          > find this out???

          Do you have the ATI video card, or the Nvidia? Either way, I think
          there is a file in the Dell Support download section that will take
          care of this. ati314.rpm or something like that for the ATI card,
          seems like there was one for each possible amount of video card memory.

          --
          John Cronin
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2001
            I have the 15" UXGA display... my HorizSync is 28-90, and VertRefresh is
            40-110. I have no problems at all in 1600x1200 (don't run any other
            resolution), and it's beautiful... :)

            -steve

            On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 02:35:35AM -0000, jpr200012@... wrote:
            > I have the 15'' UXGA display and would really like to know the
            > correct vertical & horizontal refresh rates.... is there anyway to
            > find this out???
            >
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., mike.yahoo@s... wrote:
            > > does anyone know what the vertical and horizontal refresh ranges
            > are
            > > for a 14" SXGA+ display on a I8K?
            > >
            > > thanks,
            > >
            > Mike

            "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
          • jpr200012@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 10 , May 6, 2001
              see thats the problem we're all using different horiz and vert
              settings - nobody appears to know what the screen is actually made
              for. my display looks beautiful also but i do not want to damage the
              display.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > --
              > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
              student
              > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
              one's mouth and remove all doubt."
            • David Rodriguez
              Message 6 of 10 , May 6, 2001
                My 2c:

                In a previous discussion in this list I posted my opinion, that
                seemed not to raise a discussion, so maybe the rest share... I don't
                think/believe that having wrong ranges would damage the screen. First
                of all you can try to use xvidtune to find out what the real frequency
                the laptop is using. In my case I have Horizontal 30-130 and Vertical
                50-200. If I were using a regular CRT monitor (my experience with desktops)
                the video card would try some really high frequency mode (160 Hz...)
                as it falls inside the allowed range for the `monitor' information that
                it has. On the other hand the display is actually doing 60Hz and
                everything works fine.

                That is, I believe that the video card knows how to deal with
                the LCD and will use a video mode that matches the screen, no matter
                what the XConfig file says. I would like to confirm this with some
                people that uses higher definitions, my screen only does 1024x768.

                Also I don't think that even if you could force the screen to
                go over the limit (too fast a refresh rate) you would damage it. Unlike
                CRTs, TFTs are based on electronical circuits, if you try to refresh the
                information in the circuit too fast, then the circuit will probably pick
                up random noise instead of the real data, so you would not see the proper
                image, but this should not damage anything. It is similar to the case
                when you have a slow memory installed (some years ago) and you set the BIOS
                to go much faster. It worked some of the time, it lost the information
                other times... but if you set it again to the proper values everything
                worked fine again.

                And those are my 2c.

                David

                P.S. I have a brief non-too-technical and probably imprecise
                description on how CRT/DSTN/TFTs work, if someone is
                interested just email me.
                P.S.2 This are only opinions, with a little background on how
                things work, it might be the case that you can screw up
                the screen... it did not happen in my machine though.

                On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 02:34:12PM -0000, jpr200012@... wrote:
                > see thats the problem we're all using different horiz and vert
                > settings - nobody appears to know what the screen is actually made
                > for. my display looks beautiful also but i do not want to damage the
                > display.
                David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living Form
                University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
                Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
                Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain
              • jpr200012@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 10 , May 6, 2001
                  I just called dell's tech support and they were no help.. didn't
                  really expect them to be helpful but thought I'd give it a try. Well
                  I guess if you can't damage your display like they warn by using the
                  wrong values and it looks fine right now.. guess nothing to worry
                  about.

                  ps here is output from xfree log
                  (**) NVIDIA(0): Default mode "1024x768": 78.8 MHz, 60.1 kHz, 75.1 Hz
                  (**) NVIDIA(0): Default mode "800x600": 49.5 MHz, 46.9 kHz, 75.0 Hz
                  (**) NVIDIA(0): Default mode "640x480": 31.5 MHz, 37.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz

                  Spain

                • David Rodriguez
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 7, 2001
                    On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 04:35:07AM -0000, jpr200012@... wrote:
                    > I just called dell's tech support and they were no help.. didn't
                    > really expect them to be helpful but thought I'd give it a try. Well
                    > I guess if you can't damage your display like they warn by using the
                    > wrong values and it looks fine right now.. guess nothing to worry
                    > about.
                    >
                    > ps here is output from xfree log
                    > (**) NVIDIA(0): Default mode "1024x768": 78.8 MHz, 60.1 kHz, 75.1 Hz
                    > (**) NVIDIA(0): Default mode "800x600": 49.5 MHz, 46.9 kHz, 75.0 Hz
                    > (**) NVIDIA(0): Default mode "640x480": 31.5 MHz, 37.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz

                    That does not really give too much information. For me the modes
                    being used (as reported by the X driver) are:

                    (**) R128(0): Default mode "1024x768": 65.0 MHz, 70.3 kHz, 87.2 Hz
                    (**) R128(0): Default mode "800x600": 65.0 MHz, 50.3 kHz, 78.8 Hz
                    (**) R128(0): Default mode "640x480": 65.0 MHz, 37.5 kHz, 72.4 Hz

                    but somewhere between the driver and the display the video card changes
                    the mode to this

                    "1024x768" 65.00 1024 1048 1065 1344 768 770 776 806 +hsync +vsync

                    as printed by xvidtune that corresponds to a 60Hz vertical refresh rate
                    and not the 87.2Hz that X driver believes. That is why I believe that
                    the card is `smart' enough to handle the internal LCD with it's
                    knowledge of the display (maybe it is even the driver). The driver does
                    know what the display is able to do:

                    (II) R128(0): Panel size: 1024x768
                    (II) R128(0): Panel ID: Hitachi TX38D87VC1CAA
                    (II) R128(0): Panel Type: Color, Single, TFT
                    (II) R128(0): Panel Interface: LVDS
                    (II) R128(0): PLL parameters: rf=2700 rd=60 min=12500 max=25000; xclk=10500

                    The last line tells the parameters for the PLL (Phase Lock Loop - I think,
                    I have always used just PLL) that is the part of the circuit that generates
                    the frequencies on the display(*). By the way, the ranges I selected once
                    and never worried to change are:

                    hsync range 0: 30.00 - 130.00
                    vsync range 0: 50.00 - 200.00

                    All this is with a ATI Mobility M3 in a Inspiron 5000e. The ranges in the
                    XConfig file just tell the driver what modes will NOT work (those out
                    of range), so that the driver selects something expected to work (for me
                    its the 87 Hz mode), and as far as X knows that is the mode being used.

                    David

                    (*) That is not technically correct, PLLs are used to generate
                    frequencies and to synchronize transmited signals (dial on the stereo...)
                    adapting to small/slow changes. And even this description is overly
                    simplistic...

                    P.S. You know you have studied too much when you start writting technical
                    stuff in an email... Sorry for that :-)
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 7, 2001

                      > That does not really give too much information. For me the
                      modes
                      > being used (as reported by the X driver) are:
                      >
                      > (**) R128(0): Default mode "1024x768": 65.0 MHz, 70.3 kHz, 87.2 Hz
                      > (**) R128(0): Default mode "800x600": 65.0 MHz, 50.3 kHz, 78.8 Hz
                      > (**) R128(0): Default mode "640x480": 65.0 MHz, 37.5 kHz, 72.4 Hz
                      >
                      > but somewhere between the driver and the display the video card
                      changes
                      > the mode to this
                      >
                      > "1024x768" 65.00 1024 1048 1065 1344 768 770 776 806
                      +hsync +vsync

                      okay after looking everywhere i finally found the correct rates -
                      vertical is 31.5-90 and horizontal is 60

                      > as printed by xvidtune that corresponds to a 60Hz vertical refresh
                      rate
                      > and not the 87.2Hz that X driver believes. That is why I believe
                      that
                      > the card is `smart' enough to handle the internal LCD with it's
                      > knowledge of the display (maybe it is even the driver). The driver
                      does
                      > know what the display is able to do:
                      >
                      > (II) R128(0): Panel size: 1024x768
                      > (II) R128(0): Panel ID: Hitachi TX38D87VC1CAA
                      > (II) R128(0): Panel Type: Color, Single, TFT
                      > (II) R128(0): Panel Interface: LVDS
                      > (II) R128(0): PLL parameters: rf=2700 rd=60 min=12500 max=25000;
                      xclk=10500

                      i got the nvidida geforce 2 card and it doesn't spit out any info
                      like this - maybe the next release will. anyways now i got the
                      correct rates and a wonderful display at modes from 640x480 to
                      1600x1200 (i only use 1024x768 though) i'm very happy :) .. except
                      for last night i updated lilo and my system won't boot hehehe.. gotta
                      find a boot disk when i get home
                    • Ryurick M. Hristev
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 7, 2001
                        On Mon, 7 May 2001 jpr200012@... wrote:

                        Warning: this is for 1400x1050 displays, for the rest check it out
                        there are other packages.

                        From the atimp314.rpm package, downloadable from Dell (from XF86Config-4):

                        HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
                        VertRefresh 60.0
                        Modeline "1400x1050" 108.000 1400 1448 1462 1688 1050 1050 1053 1066

                        I've just found it, not tried myself.

                        --
                        Cheers,
                        Ryurick M. Hristev ()..()/^\/^\ -<:-)