Re: [linux-dell-laptops] APM & Battery monitoring.

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2001
      Hi Charlie,
      My battery life is reporting properly, these are the APM options
      I have turned on:
      CONFIG_APM=y
      # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
      CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
      CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
      CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
      # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
      # CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
      CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y

      As for the mouse-buttons thing....I posted a similar request
      last week... haven't heard anything yet. I've looked all over the web,
      and I can't find anything. When I run 'xev', the buttons report the
      same exact keycode - so it doesn't look like there is a way to
      distinguish them. My guess is that they're wired in hardware to report
      the same button press.

      As for turning off the touchpad. Go to this url:
      www.compass.com/synaptics - the author (Bruce Kall) has put up a utility
      to disable the touchpad.

      hope that helps
      cheers,
      steve

      On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:49:16PM -0400, Charlie Schmidt wrote:
      > -
      >
      > Hi. I recently purchased an Inspiron 8000, and have been quite pleased
      > with it.
      >
      > Howver, two things have been bugging me with it. I've compiled my own
      > kernel, version 2.4.3, and under 'General Setup' I've selected "Advanced
      > Power Management BIOS support" and none of its sub options (basically,
      > because I didn't understand or think I needed any of them). But,
      > /proc/apm reports my battery has nearly 6hrs of life. As I recall, this
      > was the same with the stock Slackware 7.1 kernel, but I may be wrong. Is
      > this just a 'feature', or do I need to enable some other kernel options
      > for proper battery life reporting (which, I believe, is about 3hrs).
      > [But, I must say, seeing an 11hr battery life with two of them is quite
      > fun, impress your friends, wow your co-workers and the whole deal *grin*]
      >
      > Secondly, has anyone determined a way to get the lower set of mouse
      > buttons (for the touchpad) mapped to different keycodes, so one could use
      > one as third button (rather than clicking the two at the same time).
      > And, on that same subject, is there a way to disable the touchpad
      > completly? I don't use it, but rest my hands close to it that I often
      > accidentally hit it or move the mouse with my palms.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > --
      > Charlie Schmidt - <ishamael@...>

      "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."