Re: [linux-dell-laptops] external input/output

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2001
      Hi Brian,
      I think that is most likely a problem with the splitter... I've
      had similar problems trying to use splitters on other laptops, including
      my I8K. My current solution is using a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
      which is a USB keyboard, and has two additional USB ports. I then have
      a Logitech Cordless Mouseman plugged into one of those USB ports. Thus,
      all I have to do is plug one USB port into my I8K - and I have an
      external keyboard and mouse.

      For the X problem - there really isn't a good way around that, I
      don't think. What I did was rename "startx" to "startx-real" and make
      my own "startx" script that just prompted:

      "Using an external monitor? "

      if I answered 'y', then it would copy over the XF86Config for the
      external monitor, otherwise it copied over the one for the laptop. Not
      the most convenient, but it works and gets the job done. :)

      -steve

      On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:44:26PM -0400, Brian M Dial wrote:
      > I recently got a Inspiron 8000 laptop. After a bout with the pcmcia
      > (which made me discover this list) everything is working peachy. Being
      > that I'm using this as my primary workstation at work, I felt the need
      > to attach a few devices to it to make working easier. I've run into a
      > few issues though I was wondering if others had experienced.
      >
      > 1. keyboard/mouse
      >
      > I *hate* the touchpad, and the little keyboard stick. The first thing I
      > tried was using one of what my coworkers said was a splitter for these
      > laptops that would allow me to use both an external ps2 keyboard and
      > mouse in the one ps2 port on the inspirons. I plugged it in, and had
      > very jerky and scrambled problems using the keyboard and mouse. It
      > wasn't too much of a problem, since I could hook a USB mouse up and just
      > use the ps2 for keyboard. I'm curious if this is an issue with linux or
      > perhaps my coworker lied to me about the usefulness of this splitter.
      >
      > 2. Monitor
      >
      > I've hooked up a viewsonic PS790 to my laptop, and it works fine.
      > However, I know that the refresh rates I have for the laptop, which came
      > from a user-submitted XF86Config posted here and other places, are not
      > right for the monitor. The image is still useable, but I've noticed
      > that my eyes seem to be a bit more taxed. Is there any solution to this
      > problem other than maintaining 2 XF86Config files based on whether I'm
      > using an external monitor or not?
      >
      > I appreciate any input.
      >
      > -Brian
      >
      > --
      > Brian M Dial
      > UNIX Systems Administrator
      > Rummel, Klepper & Kahl, LLP
      > Ring Ring: 410.728.2900 x1329
      > Beep Beep: 410.579.9754
      > http://www.rkkengineers.com

      "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    • Brian M Dial
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2001
        That's what I figured, care to share your script? :)

        -Brian

        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2001
          Hi Brian,
          I don't have it on me right now...but I just thought of an even
          better idea...

          #!/usr/bin/perl
          $x = $ARGV[0]
          if ($x eq '') {
          # no argument passed, assume using built-in LCD
          # either copy of XF86Config (need o+w permissions then)
          # or tell startx to use different XF86Config

          `cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-lcd /etc/X11/XF86Config
          }
          else {
          # argument passed, assume using external monitor

          `cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-monitor /etc/X11/XF86Config
          }

          just remember to set the o+w permissions so users can overwrite the
          XF86Config. a safer way would be to tell startx to use a different
          XF86Config...but I'm not entirely sure how to do that off the top of my
          head.

          cheers,
          steve

        • jpr200012@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2001
            are you the same brian m dial from the slackware forums a few years
            ago? if so hello! i just got an i8k also

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > > --
            > > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
            student
            > > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
            one's mouth and remove all doubt."

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > --
            > Brian M Dial
            > UNIX Systems Administrator
            > Rummel, Klepper & Kahl, LLP
            > Ring Ring: 410.728.2900 x1329
            > Beep Beep: 410.579.9754
            > http://www.rkkengineers.com
          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2001
              Brian,
              I looked up some more info on this - apparently there is an
              "-xf86config <filename>" parameter you can pass to the X server. You
              can pass this on by doing "startx -- -xf86config
              /etc/X11/XF86Config.other" or something like that. Here is a revised
              script for you that should work:

              #!/usr/bin/perl
              $x = $ARGV[0]
              if ($x eq '') {
              `/usr/bin/X11/startx.real -- -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config.LCD`
              }
              else {
              `/usr/bin/X11/startx.real -- -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config.EXT`
              }

              so rename the original /usr/bin/X11/startx as /usr/bin/X11/startx.real
              and save the above perl script as /usr/bin/X11/startx

              That *should* do the trick for you - I haven't tested it myself yet, but
              it looks correct. :) That way, if you just type 'startx' it will
              default to your LCD monitor for you. And if you pass anything like
              'startx external' (though, really it just checks for any sort of
              parameter, you could do 'startx
              dontusetheexternalmonitor-usetheinternalLCDyoudumbass' and it will still
              do the external monitor. :)

              Hope that works out for you...it looks clean, and I think I may actually
              use it myself now. :)

              cheers,
              steve

              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2001
                Neat-o.

                I actually started down the road of trying to get some automatic stuff
                going to detect wether or not i had my usb mouse plugged in to use that
                or not but eventually I realized that I can't detect whether or not a
                monitor is attached so i went back to a manual startx <option> idea
                you'd suggested. Thanks for all the code!

                -Brian

                Message 7 of 14 , May 4, 2001
                  Hi Brian,
                  No problem... glad it works out for you. For the USB mouse -
                  you can actually define two mice, like so:

                  Section "ServerLayout"
                  Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
                  Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
                  InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
                  InputDevice "USBMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
                  InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
                  EndSection

                  Mouse0 being the touchpad/pointing stick. Then define the USB mouse to
                  SendCoreEvents. If the USB mouse is plugged in, then X will
                  automatically forward and use it as a proper mouse input device. If
                  it's not detected, then it will just use the touchpad/pointer stick.

                  Section "InputDevice"
                  Identifier "Mouse0"
                  # Modified by mouseconfig
                  Driver "mouse"
                  Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
                  Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
                  Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
                  EndSection

                  Section "InputDevice"
                  Identifier "USBMouse"
                  Driver "mouse"
                  Option "Device" "/dev/pointer"
                  Option "Name" "AutoDetected"
                  Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
                  Option "Vendor" "AutoDetected"
                  Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                  EndSection

                  Those are my driver sections to give you some info. I'm using a
                  Logitech Cordless Mouseman Plus at home, and I bring a Microsoft Optical
                  Intellimouse with me on the road - both of them work with the above
                  info. No changes needed whatsoever! X is rather intelligent about it.
                  :)

                  cheers,
                  steve

                • dan@kulp.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 4, 2001
                    Brian,

                    Mouse: no idea about this. For me, I have an external PS/2 keyboard
                    and USB mouse so I haven't run into any problems. Actually, I do have
                    a PS/2 mouse, but that's used with the docking station/port replicator
                    which has both a mouse port and a keyboard port so no splitter is needed.

                    Monitor: with XFree86 4.0.3, you should be able to define the external
                    frequency you want. For example, I use:

                    Section "Monitor"
                    Identifier "Monitor0"
                    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
                    ModelName "Monitor Model"
                    # Option "DPMS"
                    HorizSync 30-150
                    VertRefresh 50-250
                    Modeline "1400x1050" 159.0 1400 1464 1784 1912 1050 1052 1064
                    1098 -HSync -VSync
                    EndSection

                    This is 76Kz. You also need the device option:
                    Option "UseBIOSDisplay"

                    What this does for me is if the monitor is attached, it will boot on
                    it with a refresh of 76Hz. If no external monitor is attached, it
                    uses the LCD. If I want symultanious mode, I boot with the monitor
                    and hit Fn-F8 to cycle, but this results in the monitor at 60Hz. This
                    is fine by me as a rarely use symul mode. When I'm at my desk, I want
                    the monitor only.

                    I can post my entire config if needed.

                    Enjoy!
                    Dan Kulp
                    dan@...

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Brian M Dial <bdial@r...> wrote:
                    > I recently got a Inspiron 8000 laptop. After a bout with the pcmcia
                    > (which made me discover this list) everything is working peachy. Being
                    > that I'm using this as my primary workstation at work, I felt the need
                    > to attach a few devices to it to make working easier. I've run into a
                    > few issues though I was wondering if others had experienced.
                    >
                    > 1. keyboard/mouse
                    >
                    > I *hate* the touchpad, and the little keyboard stick. The first thing I
                    > tried was using one of what my coworkers said was a splitter for these
                    > laptops that would allow me to use both an external ps2 keyboard and
                    > mouse in the one ps2 port on the inspirons. I plugged it in, and had
                    > very jerky and scrambled problems using the keyboard and mouse. It
                    > wasn't too much of a problem, since I could hook a USB mouse up and just
                    > use the ps2 for keyboard. I'm curious if this is an issue with linux or
                    > perhaps my coworker lied to me about the usefulness of this splitter.
                    >
                    > 2. Monitor
                    >
                    > I've hooked up a viewsonic PS790 to my laptop, and it works fine.
                    > However, I know that the refresh rates I have for the laptop, which came
                    > from a user-submitted XF86Config posted here and other places, are not
                    > right for the monitor. The image is still useable, but I've noticed
                    > that my eyes seem to be a bit more taxed. Is there any solution to this
                    > problem other than maintaining 2 XF86Config files based on whether I'm
                    > using an external monitor or not?
                    >
                    > I appreciate any input.
                    >
                    > -Brian
                    >
                    > --
                    > Brian M Dial
                    > UNIX Systems Administrator
                    > Rummel, Klepper & Kahl, LLP
                    > Ring Ring: 410.728.2900 x1329
                    > Beep Beep: 410.579.9754
                    > http://www.rkkengineers.com
                  • Brian M Dial
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 7, 2001
                      Dan,

                      Thanks for the info. What configuration are you using these values on?
                      I have an i8k with the UXGA display, and have slightly different values
                      than you. If you have the same configuration I may give them a shot and
                      see if it's any better.

                      -Brian

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 7, 2001
                        Stephen,

                        Do you have both working at the same time? I did this when I first got
                        the laptop but managed to only get the USB mouse to work, not the
                        touchpad at the same time. however, they both work with GPM. Are you
                        running GPM concurrently with X? Here's my config

                        Section "InputDevice"
                        Identifier "Mouse1"
                        Driver "mouse"
                        Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
                        Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
                        Option "Emulate3Buttons"
                        EndSection

                        Section "InputDevice"
                        Identifier "USBMouse"
                        Driver "mouse"
                        Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
                        Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
                        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                        Option "Buttons" "5"
                        EndSection

                        Section "ServerLayout"
                        Screen "Screen 1"
                        InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
                        InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 7, 2001
                          Brian,

                          I have the 15" SXGA+ screen which is why the modeline lists the
                          1400x1050 resolution.

                          I also remembered something else: I think I might not be using
                          XFree86 4.0.3 as downloadable. I think I recompiled the r128.o module
                          because the more recent code has better support for the LCD/CRT
                          combination. Not positive though.

                          Enjoy!
                          Dan

                        • Stephen Lau
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 7, 2001
                            If you have GPM running, then I believe you can't have both
                            touchpad/stick and USB mouse working at the same time. Since I rarely
                            use the console, I just disabled GPM so now all my pointing devices and
                            buttons work concurrently at the same time.

                            -stephen

                          • David Rodriguez
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 7, 2001
                              Another option is that if you have both working with gpm, you
                              can use gpm to `repeat' or simulate the mouse movements to a
                              pipe and use that pipe as the device for X. Check the man
                              page for gpm. I use an external PS/2 mouse and the BIOS takes
                              care of most of these things, but I still use gpm as the psaux
                              device cannot be opened twice (even for reading) that is if
                              gpm is using ps/2 port, then X will not be able to use it.
                              (Unless they have changed the driver recently).

                              David

> [...]
                              one's mouth and remove all doubt."

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              one's mouth and remove all doubt."

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              >> > --
                              >> > stephen lau :: [slau@...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
                              student
                              >> > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's
                              mouth and remove all doubt."

                              >> --
                              >> Brian M Dial
                              >> UNIX Systems Administrator
                              >> Rummel, Klepper & Kahl, LLP
                              >> Ring Ring: 410.728.2900 x1329
                              >> Beep Beep: 410.579.9754
                              >> http://www.rkkengineers.com

                              >--
                              >stephen lau :: [slau@...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad student
                              >"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth

                              David Rodríguez Ibeas <dibeas@...> Undergraduate Living Form
                              University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
                              Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
                              Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain