external input/output

  • Brian M Dial
    Message 1 of 14 , May 3, 2001
      I recently got a Inspiron 8000 laptop. After a bout with the pcmcia
      (which made me discover this list) everything is working peachy. Being
      that I'm using this as my primary workstation at work, I felt the need
      to attach a few devices to it to make working easier. I've run into a
      few issues though I was wondering if others had experienced.

      1. keyboard/mouse

      I *hate* the touchpad, and the little keyboard stick. The first thing I
      tried was using one of what my coworkers said was a splitter for these
      laptops that would allow me to use both an external ps2 keyboard and
      mouse in the one ps2 port on the inspirons. I plugged it in, and had
      very jerky and scrambled problems using the keyboard and mouse. It
      wasn't too much of a problem, since I could hook a USB mouse up and just
      use the ps2 for keyboard. I'm curious if this is an issue with linux or
      perhaps my coworker lied to me about the usefulness of this splitter.

      2. Monitor

      I've hooked up a viewsonic PS790 to my laptop, and it works fine.
      However, I know that the refresh rates I have for the laptop, which came
      from a user-submitted XF86Config posted here and other places, are not
      right for the monitor. The image is still useable, but I've noticed
      that my eyes seem to be a bit more taxed. Is there any solution to this
      problem other than maintaining 2 XF86Config files based on whether I'm
      using an external monitor or not?

      I appreciate any input.

      -Brian

      --
      Brian M Dial
      UNIX Systems Administrator
      Message 2 of 14 , May 3, 2001
        Hi Brian,
        I think that is most likely a problem with the splitter... I've
        had similar problems trying to use splitters on other laptops, including
        my I8K. My current solution is using a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
        which is a USB keyboard, and has two additional USB ports. I then have
        a Logitech Cordless Mouseman plugged into one of those USB ports. Thus,
        all I have to do is plug one USB port into my I8K - and I have an
        external keyboard and mouse.

        For the X problem - there really isn't a good way around that, I
        don't think. What I did was rename "startx" to "startx-real" and make
        my own "startx" script that just prompted:

        "Using an external monitor? "

        if I answered 'y', then it would copy over the XF86Config for the
        external monitor, otherwise it copied over the one for the laptop. Not
        the most convenient, but it works and gets the job done. :)

        -steve

        On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 03:44:26PM -0400, Brian M Dial wrote:
        > I recently got a Inspiron 8000 laptop. After a bout with the pcmcia
        > (which made me discover this list) everything is working peachy. Being
        > that I'm using this as my primary workstation at work, I felt the need
        > to attach a few devices to it to make working easier. I've run into a
        > few issues though I was wondering if others had experienced.
        >
        > 1. keyboard/mouse
        >
        > I *hate* the touchpad, and the little keyboard stick. The first thing I
        > tried was using one of what my coworkers said was a splitter for these
        > laptops that would allow me to use both an external ps2 keyboard and
        > mouse in the one ps2 port on the inspirons. I plugged it in, and had
        > very jerky and scrambled problems using the keyboard and mouse. It
        > wasn't too much of a problem, since I could hook a USB mouse up and just
        > use the ps2 for keyboard. I'm curious if this is an issue with linux or
        > perhaps my coworker lied to me about the usefulness of this splitter.
        >
        > 2. Monitor
        >
        > I've hooked up a viewsonic PS790 to my laptop, and it works fine.
        > However, I know that the refresh rates I have for the laptop, which came
        > from a user-submitted XF86Config posted here and other places, are not
        > right for the monitor. The image is still useable, but I've noticed
        > that my eyes seem to be a bit more taxed. Is there any solution to this
        > problem other than maintaining 2 XF86Config files based on whether I'm
        > using an external monitor or not?
        >
        > I appreciate any input.
        >
        > -Brian
        >
        > --
        > Brian M Dial
        > UNIX Systems Administrator
        > Rummel, Klepper & Kahl, LLP
        > Ring Ring: 410.728.2900 x1329
        > Beep Beep: 410.579.9754
        > http://www.rkkengineers.com

        "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
      • Brian M Dial
        Message 3 of 14 , May 3, 2001
          That's what I figured, care to share your script? :)

          -Brian

          Message 4 of 14 , May 3, 2001
            Hi Brian,
            I don't have it on me right now...but I just thought of an even
            better idea...

            #!/usr/bin/perl
            $x = $ARGV[0]
            if ($x eq '') {
            # no argument passed, assume using built-in LCD
            # either copy of XF86Config (need o+w permissions then)
            # or tell startx to use different XF86Config

            `cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-lcd /etc/X11/XF86Config
            }
            else {
            # argument passed, assume using external monitor

            `cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-monitor /etc/X11/XF86Config
            }

            just remember to set the o+w permissions so users can overwrite the
            XF86Config. a safer way would be to tell startx to use a different
            XF86Config...but I'm not entirely sure how to do that off the top of my
            head.

            cheers,
            steve

          • jpr200012@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 14 , May 3, 2001
              are you the same brian m dial from the slackware forums a few years
              ago? if so hello! i just got an i8k also

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > > --
              > > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
              student
              > > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
              one's mouth and remove all doubt."

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > --
              > Brian M Dial
              > UNIX Systems Administrator
              > Rummel, Klepper & Kahl, LLP
              > Ring Ring: 410.728.2900 x1329
              > Beep Beep: 410.579.9754
              > http://www.rkkengineers.com
            • Stephen Lau
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2001
                Brian,
                I looked up some more info on this - apparently there is an
                "-xf86config <filename>" parameter you can pass to the X server. You
                can pass this on by doing "startx -- -xf86config
                /etc/X11/XF86Config.other" or something like that. Here is a revised
                script for you that should work:

                #!/usr/bin/perl
                $x = $ARGV[0]
                if ($x eq '') {
                `/usr/bin/X11/startx.real -- -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config.LCD`
                }
                else {
                `/usr/bin/X11/startx.real -- -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config.EXT`
                }

                so rename the original /usr/bin/X11/startx as /usr/bin/X11/startx.real
                and save the above perl script as /usr/bin/X11/startx

                That *should* do the trick for you - I haven't tested it myself yet, but
                it looks correct. :) That way, if you just type 'startx' it will
                default to your LCD monitor for you. And if you pass anything like
                'startx external' (though, really it just checks for any sort of
                parameter, you could do 'startx
                dontusetheexternalmonitor-usetheinternalLCDyoudumbass' and it will still
                do the external monitor. :)

                Hope that works out for you...it looks clean, and I think I may actually
                use it myself now. :)

                cheers,
                steve

                Message 7 of 14 , May 3, 2001
                  Neat-o.

                  I actually started down the road of trying to get some automatic stuff
                  going to detect wether or not i had my usb mouse plugged in to use that
                  or not but eventually I realized that I can't detect whether or not a
                  monitor is attached so i went back to a manual startx <option> idea
                  you'd suggested. Thanks for all the code!

                  -Brian

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 4, 2001
                    Hi Brian,
                    No problem... glad it works out for you. For the USB mouse -
                    you can actually define two mice, like so:

                    Section "ServerLayout"
                    Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
                    Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
                    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
                    InputDevice "USBMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
                    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
                    EndSection

                    Mouse0 being the touchpad/pointing stick. Then define the USB mouse to
                    SendCoreEvents. If the USB mouse is plugged in, then X will
                    automatically forward and use it as a proper mouse input device. If
                    it's not detected, then it will just use the touchpad/pointer stick.

                    Section "InputDevice"
                    Identifier "Mouse0"
                    # Modified by mouseconfig
                    Driver "mouse"
                    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
                    Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
                    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
                    EndSection

                    Section "InputDevice"
                    Identifier "USBMouse"
                    Driver "mouse"
                    Option "Device" "/dev/pointer"
                    Option "Name" "AutoDetected"
                    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
                    Option "Vendor" "AutoDetected"
                    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                    EndSection

                    Those are my driver sections to give you some info. I'm using a
                    Logitech Cordless Mouseman Plus at home, and I bring a Microsoft Optical
                    Intellimouse with me on the road - both of them work with the above
                    info. No changes needed whatsoever! X is rather intelligent about it.
                    :)

                    cheers,
                    steve

                  • dan@kulp.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 4, 2001
                      Brian,

                      Mouse: no idea about this. For me, I have an external PS/2 keyboard
                      and USB mouse so I haven't run into any problems. Actually, I do have
                      a PS/2 mouse, but that's used with the docking station/port replicator
                      which has both a mouse port and a keyboard port so no splitter is needed.

                      Monitor: with XFree86 4.0.3, you should be able to define the external
                      frequency you want. For example, I use:

                      Section "Monitor"
                      Identifier "Monitor0"
                      VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
                      ModelName "Monitor Model"
                      # Option "DPMS"
                      HorizSync 30-150
                      VertRefresh 50-250
                      Modeline "1400x1050" 159.0 1400 1464 1784 1912 1050 1052 1064
                      1098 -HSync -VSync
                      EndSection

                      This is 76Kz. You also need the device option:
                      Option "UseBIOSDisplay"

                      What this does for me is if the monitor is attached, it will boot on
                      it with a refresh of 76Hz. If no external monitor is attached, it
                      uses the LCD. If I want symultanious mode, I boot with the monitor
                      and hit Fn-F8 to cycle, but this results in the monitor at 60Hz. This
                      is fine by me as a rarely use symul mode. When I'm at my desk, I want
                      the monitor only.

                      I can post my entire config if needed.

                      Enjoy!
                      Dan Kulp
                      dan@...

                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Brian M Dial <bdial@r...> wrote:
                      > I recently got a Inspiron 8000 laptop. After a bout with the pcmcia
                      > (which made me discover this list) everything is working peachy. Being
                      > that I'm using this as my primary workstation at work, I felt the need
                      > to attach a few devices to it to make working easier. I've run into a
                      > few issues though I was wondering if others had experienced.
                      >
                      > 1. keyboard/mouse
                      >
                      > I *hate* the touchpad, and the little keyboard stick. The first thing I
                      > tried was using one of what my coworkers said was a splitter for these
                      > laptops that would allow me to use both an external ps2 keyboard and
                      > mouse in the one ps2 port on the inspirons. I plugged it in, and had
                      > very jerky and scrambled problems using the keyboard and mouse. It
                      > wasn't too much of a problem, since I could hook a USB mouse up and just
                      > use the ps2 for keyboard. I'm curious if this is an issue with linux or
                      > perhaps my coworker lied to me about the usefulness of this splitter.
                      >
                      > 2. Monitor
                      >
                      > I've hooked up a viewsonic PS790 to my laptop, and it works fine.
                      > However, I know that the refresh rates I have for the laptop, which came
                      > from a user-submitted XF86Config posted here and other places, are not
                      > right for the monitor. The image is still useable, but I've noticed
                      > that my eyes seem to be a bit more taxed. Is there any solution to this
                      > problem other than maintaining 2 XF86Config files based on whether I'm
                      > using an external monitor or not?
                      >
                      > I appreciate any input.
                      >
                      > -Brian
                      >
                      > --
                      > Brian M Dial
                      > UNIX Systems Administrator
                      > Rummel, Klepper & Kahl, LLP
                      > Ring Ring: 410.728.2900 x1329
                      > Beep Beep: 410.579.9754
                      > http://www.rkkengineers.com
                    • Brian M Dial
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 7, 2001
                        Dan,

                        Thanks for the info. What configuration are you using these values on?
                        I have an i8k with the UXGA display, and have slightly different values
                        than you. If you have the same configuration I may give them a shot and
                        see if it's any better.

                        -Brian

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 7, 2001
                          Stephen,

                          Do you have both working at the same time? I did this when I first got
                          the laptop but managed to only get the USB mouse to work, not the
                          touchpad at the same time. however, they both work with GPM. Are you
                          running GPM concurrently with X? Here's my config

                          Section "InputDevice"
                          Identifier "Mouse1"
                          Driver "mouse"
                          Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
                          Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
                          Option "Emulate3Buttons"
                          EndSection

                          Section "InputDevice"
                          Identifier "USBMouse"
                          Driver "mouse"
                          Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
                          Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
                          Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                          Option "Buttons" "5"
                          EndSection

                          Section "ServerLayout"
                          Screen "Screen 1"
                          InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
                          InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 7, 2001
                            Brian,

                            I have the 15" SXGA+ screen which is why the modeline lists the
                            1400x1050 resolution.

                            I also remembered something else: I think I might not be using
                            XFree86 4.0.3 as downloadable. I think I recompiled the r128.o module
                            because the more recent code has better support for the LCD/CRT
                            combination. Not positive though.

                            Enjoy!
                            Dan

                          • Stephen Lau
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 7, 2001
                              If you have GPM running, then I believe you can't have both
                              touchpad/stick and USB mouse working at the same time. Since I rarely
                              use the console, I just disabled GPM so now all my pointing devices and
                              buttons work concurrently at the same time.

                              -stephen

                            • David Rodriguez
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 7, 2001
                                Another option is that if you have both working with gpm, you
                                can use gpm to `repeat' or simulate the mouse movements to a
                                pipe and use that pipe as the device for X. Check the man
                                page for gpm. I use an external PS/2 mouse and the BIOS takes
                                care of most of these things, but I still use gpm as the psaux
                                device cannot be opened twice (even for reading) that is if
                                gpm is using ps/2 port, then X will not be able to use it.
                                (Unless they have changed the driver recently).

                                David

> [...]
                                one's mouth and remove all doubt."

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                one's mouth and remove all doubt."

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                >> > --
                                >> > stephen lau :: [slau@...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
                                student
                                >> > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's
                                mouth and remove all doubt."

                                >> --
                                >> Brian M Dial
                                >> UNIX Systems Administrator
                                >> Rummel, Klepper & Kahl, LLP
                                >> Ring Ring: 410.728.2900 x1329
                                >> Beep Beep: 410.579.9754
                                >> http://www.rkkengineers.com

                                >--
                                >stephen lau :: [slau@...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad student
                                >"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth

                                David Rodríguez Ibeas <dibeas@...> Undergraduate Living Form
                                University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
                                Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
                                Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain