Has anyone gotten the G2Go on the 8000 to work in RH 7.1?

  • Evan Ochs
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2001
      Has anyone gotten the G2Go on the 8000 to work in RH 7.1?

      No matter what I do I cannot get it to work... I have tried both the
      Open Source "nv" driver and the nvidia kernel/GLX driver from
      Nvidia... I cannot seem to get X to work with the Geforce 2 GO...
      It worked fine with the ATI M4 card in my system, but since getting
      my card upgraded a few days ago (I am a Dell employee) I have been
      unable to use X...
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2001
        Hi Evan,
        Do you mean the "nv" drive that comes with X 4.0.x? What
        version of XFree are you running? Have you made sure you're updated to
        4.0.3? The release notes for 4.0.3 say they added support for the
        GeForce3, maybe some of the updates trickled down to add support for the
        G2Go? If you're running 4.0.1, then definitely upgrade...
        Also, I'm curious - can customers upgrade their cards as well,
        or is this only an internal Dell perk?

        cheers,
        steve

        On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 02:51:42AM -0000, Evan Ochs wrote:
        > Has anyone gotten the G2Go on the 8000 to work in RH 7.1?
        >
        > No matter what I do I cannot get it to work... I have tried both the
        > Open Source "nv" driver and the nvidia kernel/GLX driver from
        > Nvidia... I cannot seem to get X to work with the Geforce 2 GO...
        > It worked fine with the ATI M4 card in my system, but since getting
        > my card upgraded a few days ago (I am a Dell employee) I have been
        > unable to use X...

        "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
      • David Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2001
          >===== Original Message From Stephen Lau <slau@...> =====
          > Also, I'm curious - can customers upgrade their cards as well,
          >or is this only an internal Dell perk?
          >
          >cheers,
          >steve

          I would assume that the video board is just a part of the
          motherboard (it is in some other laptops) so it does not seem to
          be an upgrade that most customers would like doing (if it is
          possible at all).

          David

          David Rodríguez Ibeas <dibeas@...> Undergraduate Living Form
          University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
          Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
          Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain
        • Trevor
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001
            The video card is on a small daughter board inside the 8000. It is
            replaceable however Dell won't sell you the part. Their policy is that any
            internal parts are an integral part of the system and can not be upgraded
            even if you send it back to them and pay. If you manage to find a GeForce2
            Go card that is compatible with the 8000 then it will probably work but you
            will lose your warranty.
            The following link shows you how to take apart the 8000 and also shows you
            the video card.
            http://support.dell.com/docs/systems/plav/remove.htm#1024986 I'm not
            responsible for any damage to you or your Dell if you actually take it apart
            though :-)

            - Trevor

            > > Also, I'm curious - can customers upgrade their cards as well,
            > >or is this only an internal Dell perk?
            > >
            > >cheers,
            > >steve
            >
            > I would assume that the video board is just a part of the
            > motherboard (it is in some other laptops) so it does not seem to
            > be an upgrade that most customers would like doing (if it is
            > possible at all).
            >
            > David

            > David Rodrguez Ibeas <dibeas@...> Undergraduate Living Form
            > University of Iowa Universidad Politcnica de Madrid
            > Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicacin
            > Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain

          • Evan Ochs
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001
              I just got lucky... Customers will not be sold upgrades even though
              it is simply a daughter card that you just swap out... Yes, I have
              4.03... I am running 7.1 seawolf... neither the nv not the nvidia
              driver will work just yet

              Spain
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • lordh2000@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2001
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Evan Ochs" <evanochs@y...> wrote:
                > Has anyone gotten the G2Go on the 8000 to work in RH 7.1?
                >
                > No matter what I do I cannot get it to work... I have tried both
                the
                > Open Source "nv" driver and the nvidia kernel/GLX driver from
                > Nvidia... I cannot seem to get X to work with the Geforce 2 GO...

                > It worked fine with the ATI M4 card in my system, but since
                getting
                > my card upgraded a few days ago (I am a Dell employee) I have been
                > unable to use X...

                well, depends, what you mean by working ;)
                I just installed RH7.1 seawolf - the included 'nv' driver just
                gives funny stripes. Then I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from
                their website and after a bit of tweaking I can get X to start.
                However, it only works in a kind of 8bit display (even though
                xdpyinfo clearly says 24bit) and this only because I added
                Option "ignoreEDID" "1"
                to the "Screen" section in my XF86config-4 file.
                The monitor I'm using has
                HorizSync 30-100
                VertRefresh 60
                When I use the monitor settings from the ATI file, I just
                get a very blurry screen with some strange switches of resolution :(

                Anyone else any ideas????

                CW
              • Evan Ochs
                Message 7 of 8 , May 3, 2001
                  Can you send me you XF86Config-4 file? eochs@......
                  Thanks

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., lordh2000@y... wrote:
                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Evan Ochs" <evanochs@y...> wrote:
                  > > Has anyone gotten the G2Go on the 8000 to work in RH 7.1?
                  > >
                  > > No matter what I do I cannot get it to work... I have tried
                  both
                  > the
                  > > Open Source "nv" driver and the nvidia kernel/GLX driver from
                  > > Nvidia... I cannot seem to get X to work with the Geforce 2
                  GO...

                  > > It worked fine with the ATI M4 card in my system, but since
                  > getting
                  > > my card upgraded a few days ago (I am a Dell employee) I have
                  been
                  > > unable to use X...
                  >
                  > well, depends, what you mean by working ;)
                  > I just installed RH7.1 seawolf - the included 'nv' driver just
                  > gives funny stripes. Then I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from
                  > their website and after a bit of tweaking I can get X to start.
                  > However, it only works in a kind of 8bit display (even though
                  > xdpyinfo clearly says 24bit) and this only because I added
                  > Option "ignoreEDID" "1"
                  > to the "Screen" section in my XF86config-4 file.
                  > The monitor I'm using has
                  > HorizSync 30-100
                  > VertRefresh 60
                  > When I use the monitor settings from the ATI file, I just
                  > get a very blurry screen with some strange switches of resolution
                  :(

                  > Anyone else any ideas????
                  >
                  > CW
                • Evan Ochs