Re: s2d is killing me...

  • saubrecht@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 29, 2001
      my suspend-to-disk partition is hda2 and was created using mks2d.exe
      some more tips:
      fn+esc - suspend to ram
      fn+a - suspend to disk (works only in md dos or linux, windows handle
      suspend their own way), you should see text based grey screen with a
      message like 'saving memory to disk' or a message 'no save to disk
      partition found' if you didn't create the partition or the partition
      is invalid.

      however i think if u suspend to ram, after some time (set in bios)
      the system should wake up and suspend to disk)

      i know that dell recomends phdisk.exe but i did some searching and
      surfing on dell's website and one search came up with mks2d.exe
      tool...

      good luck,
      stanley

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
      > this has been a point of contention among what I've read. some
      people
      > have said to use mks2d - some people have said to use phdisk.
      Dell's

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > --
      > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
      student
      > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open
      one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    • Ryurick M. Hristev
      Message 35 of 35 , May 3, 2001
        On Wed, 2 May 2001, Stephen Lau wrote:

        > Like you, I scoured all the official Dell resources online - and
        > EVERYTHING that Dell has says to use phdisk. And whenever I use phdisk

        FIRST OF ALL:
        - I spent many hours and read tons of docs (more than I wanted to) with
        respect to this problem.
        - No docs I found (and I did a pretty much exhaustive "research")
        explain _clearly_ the issues.
        - With helpful advice from this board (thanks to all who replied to my
        questions :-) I finally made it work
        - I tried to help others in my turn but ...
        - this is a very FAQ so:

        IF ANYBODY --- WHO MAINTAINS PERTINENT DOCS --- READS THIS:

        PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ... ADD THIS INFO.

        IT IS REALLY AN FAQ AND UNDOCUMENTED CLEARLY

        That is WRONG! Actually Dell says that _usually_ (OK I don't recall the exact
        wording) you would use phdisk (or whatever) on Inspirons. On mine I had to
        use mks2d (or whatever is called). Actually Dell makes reference to a document
        (detailing what to use on which machine) which seems to have disappeared.

        1. create the partition. Caveats:
        a. try both options, Dell recommends phdisk but on my system I used mks2d
        to make the BIOS recognize it.
        b. the partition have to be of primary type
        c. the partition may have to be hda4 (or maybe hda1). I tried hda3
        and it worked on _my_ machine
        d. there is a limit on where to put it, e.g. on my 20Gb disk
        it worked only when I put it at the beginning of the disk
        (not at the end)
        SO, EXPERIMENT it's worthwhile the 1-2h spent.

        Eventually I created the partition with fdisk (does a better partitioning):
        - if mks2d works for you then the partition type is:
        0x84 OS/2 hidden C:
        No format is needed afterward.
        - if phdisk works for you then _probably_ (unchecked!) the type is:
        0xa0 IBM Thinkpad hidden
        don't know more about it
        2. install lilo in the boot sector, _not_ MBR
        This way the BIOS will automatically reboot from s2d partition if a valid
        one is found. If you _really_ want to install lilo in MBR the you know
        what to do and the dangers!

        --
        Cheers,
        Ryurick M. Hristev ()..()/^\/^\ -<:-)