Re: s2d is killing me...

  • saubrecht@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 29, 2001
      i can't check the linux fdisk because i'm in windows right now but
      partition magic says it's 'Type 84'
      as i remember first time i used phdisk.exe and it did show partition
      type as ibm hibernation ... but it didn't work for me (at least i
      think so, i was a bit desperate at that time:-)
      however after using mks2d.exe everything is fine and as i remember
      fdisk in linux says that the partition is 8 something (80, 84, ...)

      stanley

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., David Rodriguez <dibeas@i...> wrote:
      > On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 09:46:08AM -0000, saubrecht@h... wrote:
      > > i used MKS2D.exe tool to create suspend to disk partition and the
      > > type of the partition is shown as something different than IBM
      > > Thinkpad hibernation...
      > >
      > > see my page at http://www.geocities.com/stan_22ie/
      >
      > It must depend on the version of fdisk (that outputs the
      name),
      > because mine does say IBM Thinkpad hibernation (type a0) and it
      works
      > fine. Can you check whether the type of partition is a0 or
      something else?

      > Thanks,
      >
      > David

      > David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living
      Form
      > University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de
      Madrid
      > Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I.
      Telecomunicación
      > Iowa City, IA Madrid,
      Spain
    • Ryurick M. Hristev
      Message 35 of 35 , May 3, 2001
        On Wed, 2 May 2001, Stephen Lau wrote:

        > Like you, I scoured all the official Dell resources online - and
        > EVERYTHING that Dell has says to use phdisk. And whenever I use phdisk

        FIRST OF ALL:
        - I spent many hours and read tons of docs (more than I wanted to) with
        respect to this problem.
        - No docs I found (and I did a pretty much exhaustive "research")
        explain _clearly_ the issues.
        - With helpful advice from this board (thanks to all who replied to my
        questions :-) I finally made it work
        - I tried to help others in my turn but ...
        - this is a very FAQ so:

        IF ANYBODY --- WHO MAINTAINS PERTINENT DOCS --- READS THIS:

        PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ... ADD THIS INFO.

        IT IS REALLY AN FAQ AND UNDOCUMENTED CLEARLY

        That is WRONG! Actually Dell says that _usually_ (OK I don't recall the exact
        wording) you would use phdisk (or whatever) on Inspirons. On mine I had to
        use mks2d (or whatever is called). Actually Dell makes reference to a document
        (detailing what to use on which machine) which seems to have disappeared.

        1. create the partition. Caveats:
        a. try both options, Dell recommends phdisk but on my system I used mks2d
        to make the BIOS recognize it.
        b. the partition have to be of primary type
        c. the partition may have to be hda4 (or maybe hda1). I tried hda3
        and it worked on _my_ machine
        d. there is a limit on where to put it, e.g. on my 20Gb disk
        it worked only when I put it at the beginning of the disk
        (not at the end)
        SO, EXPERIMENT it's worthwhile the 1-2h spent.

        Eventually I created the partition with fdisk (does a better partitioning):
        - if mks2d works for you then the partition type is:
        0x84 OS/2 hidden C:
        No format is needed afterward.
        - if phdisk works for you then _probably_ (unchecked!) the type is:
        0xa0 IBM Thinkpad hidden
        don't know more about it
        2. install lilo in the boot sector, _not_ MBR
        This way the BIOS will automatically reboot from s2d partition if a valid
        one is found. If you _really_ want to install lilo in MBR the you know
        what to do and the dangers!

        --
        Cheers,
        Ryurick M. Hristev ()..()/^\/^\ -<:-)