Mandrake on Inspiron 8000 report

  • sidechannelattack@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2001
      Hi guys:

      I hope this helps someone out there. Mandrake 8.0 installs fine, gets
      audio working right off the bat (in 7.2 you needed to edit your
      /etc/modules.conf file) and the network card is autodetected easily
      enough. I have the internal ActionTec. Uses the etherexpress pro
      module. X predictably didn't work but I saved my XF86Config-4 file
      before 'upgrading'. I will post it if anyone needs it, but there
      should already be a working one in the Files directory someone else
      posted up.

      My review of Mandrake 8? Well, I will be changing back over to Debian
      shortly. Lots of bugs, worse then 7.2. All really minor things. For
      example, I picked custom package selection and then it went off and
      didn't follow my selection at all. So I spent about 30 minutes
      installing stuff it didn't install, and uninstalling some other crap
      it did. It had some other annoying little issues.

      The one saving grace is Mandrake's gui network tool. Not bad, If you
      regularly move your notebook between different networks. OTOH, you
      could do it with scripting on another distro. And other distro's don't
      tend to be sonbuggy...

      I also tried Redhat 7.1, but not on the I8K. I installed it on a
      desktop. Seems solid. Has anyone tried Progeny Debian? I'd love to
      hear a review of it. Especially if it has any nifty features for
      notebook users.