[linux-dell-laptops] Re: RH 6 on a Dell Latitude CPt

  • itn@internetezy.com.au
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 1999
      I have spent the last 12 hours trying to get an identical machine to do
      the same thing. I am experiencing exactly the same problems. Do you
      have any update or progress??? HELPPP!

      <of878ced16.4fc930fd-on8625679b.00746c8-@...> wrote:
      =11
      > Hey all...I just got my hands on a new Dell Latitude CPt. It's a
      Celeron
      > 333a, 192
      > MB, and using the NeoMagic 256ZX for video. It also has a
      3Com/Megahertz
      > 3c574BT 10/100 PCMCIA card. I'm trying to get Red Hat 6.0 up and
      totally
      > happy on it. Problems:
      >
      > - The SVGA server doesn't play nicely with the 256ZX. I
      downloaded the
      > binary-only beta NeoMagic server from Precision Insight's FTP, and
      that
      > will at
      > least give me video, but it looks like 320x200 or so, and that's
      it...I can
      > see like
      > the middle 50% of the GNOME splash screen, and you can't get it to
      pan to
      > the
      > rest of the screen. On starting up the X server, it seems the server
      > thinks I have
      > 64k of video ram (when I have 4 MB).
      >
      > - The pcmcia package that ships with RH 6 is earlier than 3.0.0,
      which
      > is the
      > first version to include a driver (admittedly flaky) for the 3c574. I
      > downloaded
      > 3.0.13 and built and installed that. I think the driver is being
      loaded
      > now, since
      > doing an insmod on the 3c574 driver says that it's already in.
      However, I
      > have
      > no net access...if nothing else, because I also need to get DHCP up
      and
      > running
      > (which I know squat about). The dhcpcd package is installed, but I
      don't
      > know
      > how to use it yet...just running it has it sitting there and timing
      out
      > after a
      > minute or so. (I'll look out for a DHCP howto to try to get a clue
      here)

      > - I don't know if this is normal, but I couldn't install off of
      the
      > CD-ROM...I
      > booted up, and when it asks for the CD, I have to pull the floppy
      drive to
      > swap in
      > the CD-ROM, and the RH installer isn't aware of the drive after it is
      > swapped in.
      > I ended up having to copy the CD to a separate FAT partition and
      installing
      > off
      > of that. I originally intended to do a normal FTP install, but I
      couldn't
      > do that, as
      > the RH 6 installer and PCMCIA support disk don't support the 574.
      >
      > So, basically, I need to know:
      >
      > - Is it possible to get X working on this bugger?
      > - How do I get pcmcia 3.0.13 and dhcpcd working and playing nicely
      > together?
      > - Also, does anyone know about support for this laptop's NeoMagic
      > MagicMedia 256 sound?
      >
      > Inquiring minds want to know :) There are about 150 of us new hires
      who
      > are
      > being issued this exact configuration, and a good handful of us are
      > interested in
      > getting Linux working on it. (just having NT leaves me feeling so
      naked!)

      > Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Corbett J. Klempay
      > (512) 685-4193 / corbett.klempay@...
      > http://www.acm.jhu.edu/~cklempay

    • Corbett J. Klempay
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 1999
        No progress; as far as I know, there is still no support for this video
        chipset under X.

        ---
        Corbett J. Klempay
        Trilogy Software, Inc.
        512.685.4193 (W) | 512.750.1372 (C)
        corbett.klempay@...

      • Michael Overvold
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 1999
          I have a Latitude 366 CPiA that uses the 256 chipset
          also. I got an XF86Config file from Chuck Boeheim
          that allows 1024x768. You might want to try it. HEre
          it is.

          Mike Overvold

          --- "Corbett J. Klempay" <corbett.klempay@...>