change screen res from 1400 x 1050 to 768 x 1024 in i5k ?

  • idan7070@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2001
      Hello ,
      Does anyone know how to change the screen res in inspiron 5000
      from 1400 X 1050 down to 768 x 1024 ?
      ctrl alt -/+ doesnt work and the last time i`ve tried to do it
      through xconfig its almost locked the sysyem.
      Ive tried to do it many times in the x menues and every time i chose
      diffrent resolutions but its always displays in the highest one .
      (1400 x 1050 is very small to read in the shell terminal)
      Does anyone have an idea?
      thanks a lot.
    • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2001
        > Does anyone know how to change the screen res in inspiron 5000
        > from 1400 X 1050 down to 768 x 1024 ?
        > ctrl alt -/+ doesnt work and the last time i`ve tried to do it
        > through xconfig its almost locked the sysyem.
        > Ive tried to do it many times in the x menues and every time i chose
        > diffrent resolutions but its always displays in the highest one .
        > (1400 x 1050 is very small to read in the shell terminal)
        > Does anyone have an idea?

        Most LCDs look pretty crappy at every resolution except their native
        one (ie 1400x1050 for your system).

        Why don't you try making the font bigger in the shell terminal?

        --
        John Cronin
      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2001
          i agree... i'm running 1600x1200 on mine and love it.... i had to
          increase the shell font, and the default font for gvim - but it's
          great.. :)

          the font that i'm particularly fond of for my text editors and terminals
          is
          -b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1

          try that one out and see how it is for you.. it works great for me, even
          with transparent backgrounds.

          On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 06:20:31PM -0400, jsc3@... wrote:
          > > Does anyone know how to change the screen res in inspiron 5000
          > > from 1400 X 1050 down to 768 x 1024 ?
          > > ctrl alt -/+ doesnt work and the last time i`ve tried to do it
          > > through xconfig its almost locked the sysyem.
          > > Ive tried to do it many times in the x menues and every time i chose
          > > diffrent resolutions but its always displays in the highest one .
          > > (1400 x 1050 is very small to read in the shell terminal)
          > > Does anyone have an idea?
          >
          > Most LCDs look pretty crappy at every resolution except their native
          > one (ie 1400x1050 for your system).
          >
          > Why don't you try making the font bigger in the shell terminal?
          >
          > --
          > John Cronin
          > mailto: `echo NjsOc3@... | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`

          "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
        • Ryurick M. Hristev
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2001
            On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Stephen Lau wrote:

            > the font that i'm particularly fond of for my text editors and terminals
            > is
            > -b&h-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-iso8859-1

            Speaking of: I like to run 4 xterms at 80 cols on one screen.
            Now, in 1400x1050 I found difficult to find a suitable font
            (i.e. easy to read, nice and able to use most of the screen)
            so I modified the 9x15 to 8x15 (reducing the width by one pixel)

            While is maybe not perfect (in poor's man bold, letter will touch one another)
            is still the best I could came with.

            As the file is only 4k I dared to attach it directly (hope nobody will mind).

            Enjoy
            --
            Cheers,
            Ryurick M. Hristev ()..()/^\/^\ -<:-)