[linux-dell-laptops] General guidlines for posting Configs to the list - read me please !

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
      On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:53:08 -0800, you wrote:

      >I have to say though that the original problem of the sound not working
      >and video resolution (under kde) was resolveable unde 2.2.12. The sound
      >required 'insmod nm256' being added to the rc.local file in /etc/rc.d.
      >I also have the resolution at 1024x768x16bpp and I can supply the
      >XF86Config if you (or anyone emails me direct)

      Can you mail the config to the List with your laptop model number/type in the
      subject please. I'm hoping we can get as many different configs gathered
      together as possible.

      Also see the group home page, and perhaps if anyone has time we could add some
      links to the links page. I added in a few.

      The list is a really invaluable source of knowledge for dell laptop owners and
      it makes sense to try and structure our collective knowledge & experience.

      Neil
      (ps - I'm the list owner !)
    • Paul D Gilligan
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
        Hi again,

        Well Using Del CPiA, I have not had too much time to play with the sony
        patch, the Free XF86 stuff and such, I did try and if it did not work
        (compile, make,etc) first time then I did not go much further.

        I have now all running under 2.2.14mdk (Mandrake, sunite.uio.no v7.0)
        but I did notice that I have to use the correct sndconfig (from
        Mandrake)otherwise it kept going on about this drive crashes with Dell
        something 5000 do you want to continue....
        ... but continuing , nothing happends.

        So I now have music. video. and discovered kde x-windows. (Although as
        you know I cheated with the xwindows. using xig.com laptop software.)

        I think that all these comments were very helpful for the dedicated at
        kernel 2.2.13 and below. If you move to 2.2.14 all of the fixes here
        are in the kernel and so no playing around.

        Also very good of the Oslo uni site to provide RPM's read for the lazy
        people like me.... no compiling :)

        Paul

        =367