[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Suspend-to-disk on CPx H500GT

  • Kevin Rich
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2000
      gaetano,I am having exactly the same problem on my dell i3700. have you solved this problem?thanks, kevin"gaetano senatore" wrote: original article:

      I have installed RH 6.1, repartitioning and keeping w98, without big troubles and everything but hybernation is working.If I get a "fresh" suspend to disk partition with dell's utilities, the systems does save the ram to disk [Fn-A] and powers off the first time I try it. However, when I power it on it starts afresh with the bios, rather than restoring ....Did anybody experience anything like this on dell's laptopos? This one has a 12G disk, and the utility to create the suspend partition is "mks2d".The problem is the same, from linux or w98 and it is reproducible. After the first saving of the ram, next time I try to suspend to disk it complains that there is an unrestored partition and it refuses to save, switching to suspend.Any suggestion?I appear as if the bios did not work well with the suspend-to-disk utility, since it does not takes notice of a suspend "event". Though it is the latest [A02].CiaoGaetano Senatore

    • Julio
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2000
        Hi, here is how it works.As you may have noticed already there is a separate partition for the suspend-to-disk (STD) feature. What happens is that when the BIOS suspends to disk, it marks the STD partition an bootable and marks the previous bootable partition as non-bootable, so the next time the computer reboots it starts from the STD partition.However, if you installed LILO in the MBR, this doesn't work because LILO does NOT make use of the bootable flag, and it will boot only from the configured images/OSs. A work around to this problem is actually very simple. Install LILO in the first sector of your root (/) partition (/dev/hda ), and mark that partition as bootable. Also, install the loader that comes with DOS in the Master Boot Record (MBR), by simply running "fdisk /mbr" from DOS/win. If you didn't install DOS and don't want to install it, simply create a DOS boot floppy with fdisk on it, boot with that floppy and run "fdisk /mbr".That should do it.-- Julio
      • Martin Krucinski
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2000
          Gaetano and others,I had this problem with an I3700 a couple of weeks ago...The solution is as follows, assuming you are using LILO to select operating systems at boot time...1) Identify which is the suspend to disk partition... let's say it is hda1 2) In lilo.conf add an entry called resume I can't remember if I have all the details right (I am not using the I3700 anymore...) In short, add other=/dev/hda1 label=resume3) run lilo to update the MBR on your harddriveNow, when you reboot your computer, type resume instead of dos or linux... A message will come up saying the computer is restoring from the suspend-to-disk partition.... The only snag is that you have to REMEMBER if you last put the computer into suspend-to-disk or your shut it down...Please let me know if this works on your computer too...Martin mk@..."gaetano senatore" wrote: original article: