[linux-dell-laptops] Which Dell LapTop model to buy?

  • Johan Nyberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2000

      I am about to order a Dell LapTop on which I want to run Linux.
      I would like to get some advice from you regarding which model
      to choose. I am considering either a CPt V466GT or a CPx H450GT.
      Are there any preferences to choose one instead of the other?

      The CPt has an Intel Celeron processor while the more expensive
      CPx has a faster Intel Pentium III. I do not need very much
      computing power on this LapTop so for that reason the cheaper
      CPt V466GT would be ok, but there might be other important differences.
      For example what about CPU power consumption? Is there a big difference?
      I have not been able to find out anything regarding that.

      The display and graphics card are the same on both of these models:

      Display: 14.1" XGA (1024X768) TFT
      Graphics card: 8MB ATI 2xAGP Rage Mobility M-1 3D graphics

      As far as I can understand from discussions in this group, it
      is possible to get this graphics card working with the latest version
      XFree86.

      The sound cards seem to be different:

      CPt V466GT: NeoMagic Magic Media 256ZX
      CPx H450GT: ESS MAestro 2E interface to an AC97 Codec

      Did you get these working with Linux?

      What about PC Cards? I need a 10/100 Mbps network card and
      possibly a 56K modem Card perhaps integrated on the same PC Card.
      Any suggestions?

      Thanks in advance,

      Johan Nyberg <nyberg@...>
    • Kris.Vissenberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2000
        > Hi,
        >
        > I am about to order a Dell LapTop on which I want to run Linux.
        > I would like to get some advice from you regarding which model
        > to choose. I am considering either a CPt V466GT or a CPx H450GT.
        > Are there any preferences to choose one instead of the other?
        >
        > The CPt has an Intel Celeron processor while the more expensive
        > CPx has a faster Intel Pentium III. I do not need very much
        > computing power on this LapTop so for that reason the cheaper
        > CPt V466GT would be ok, but there might be other important differences.
        > For example what about CPU power consumption? Is there a big difference?
        > I have not been able to find out anything regarding that.
        >
        > The display and graphics card are the same on both of these models:
        >
        > Display: 14.1" XGA (1024X768) TFT
        > Graphics card: 8MB ATI 2xAGP Rage Mobility M-1 3D graphics
        >
        > As far as I can understand from discussions in this group, it
        > is possible to get this graphics card working with the latest version
        > XFree86.
        >
        > The sound cards seem to be different:
        >
        > CPt V466GT: NeoMagic Magic Media 256ZX
        > CPx H450GT: ESS MAestro 2E interface to an AC97 Codec

        I recently bought a CPt V466GT and the soundcard I have in it is the ESS
        Maestro 2E which gives me a lot of problems. It just doesn't work at all.
        I downloaded the driver from the Dell page and only the cd gives me some
        music. The midi, mp3 and other files just cause errors and don't give
        music. Maybe it's due to the fact that I'm very nex to linux but anyway.

        There are some pages on the net that discribe how to deal with this, but I
        still have no sound.I hope you have more luck. The screen is marvelous
        though...........

        cheerzzz,

        Kris