[linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 5000 Support

  • Patrick Chase
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2000
      Hello;

      I'm looking at a new laptop, and the Dell Inspiron 5000 is looking very
      attractive. Based on the specifications and component lists, it appears
      to be a slimmed-down Inspiron 7500 (1.5" thick vs 2.5", "megabay"
      deleted, smaller battery). The core logic, graphics, and sound chipsets
      are the same as the 7500, and the same CPU, disk, display (except for
      the 15.4" 1280x1024), and PC-card options are offered. I really have 2
      questions about this system:

      1. Has anybody installed Linux (Redhat 6.2 or comparable) on one yet?
      If so, how did it go?

      2. Is there any reason why a kernel 2.2-based Linux should have trouble
      with the newer mobile Pentium III CPUs? (in particular the 600 and 650
      MHz ones which automatically vary their clock speeds depending on
      whether they're running on AC or battery power - I'm going to guess
      that Linux doesn't enable that particular feature, but that's OK by me
      as long as they at least work at full speed)

      Thanks,

      Patrick
    • Fran├žois Charoy
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2000
        I have installed Linux on an Inspiron 7500 without much problems, using informations that I found on that list (Mandrake 7 which is based on Linux). That was my first linux install so I had some problems due to my lack of compentencies :) The only fix regards the display but this is explained on the dell laptop linux web site.
        I still have problems with the modem. The internal modem is a winmodem which does not work and I have some trouble with the pcmia modem card which is not recognized..

        François

        Patrick Chase a écrit :

[...]

        Shop for your Valentine at eGroups!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/1149/3/_/4243/_/949804664/