Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 349 - Part 7

  • linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2001
      Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Q: StudyWeb: Science:Life Sciences:Medicine:Respiratory Disorders:Allergies
      Q: StudyWeb: Science:Life Sciences:Mental Health:Cognitive Disorders:Amnesia
      Q: StudyWeb: Language Arts:Grammar:General Resources
      Q: StudyWeb: Language Arts:Writing & Writers:Legal Matters
      Q: Mis comentarios sobre sitios web

      --
      John Cronin

      Esta pregunta ha sido enviada a un experto para su atenci�n

      Message: 9
      Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:35:55 -0500 (EST)
      From: jsc3@...
      Subject: Re: Re: idebus=xx,!!I INCREASED MY DRIVE SPEED!!

      > You can set idebus=66 (on inspiron I8K all supplied drives are udma
      > 66 or 100) with append idebus=66 in lilo.conf

      But you almost certainly won't gain anything by it (though it is not
      likely to hurt anything either).

      Esta pregunta ha sido enviada a un experto para su atenci�n

      --
      John Cronin

      Message: 10
      Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:38:21 -0500 (EST)
      From: jsc3@...

      > Here are some things that *might* work and might even speed the boot
      > process, but once /sbin/hdparm has been run, it's all the same
      > thing, whether you do it in the kernel or you do it with hdparm.

      Esta pregunta ha sido enviada a un experto para su atenci�n

      I noticed I never finished this. Here is something that I am thinking
      about testing as arguments to lilo (but I have *NOT* tested these - use
      them at your own risk). The key changes are the options for ide0,
      Q: A fondo/In depth
      Q: 42 y/owhite male - TIA
      Q: Cholesterol levels after MI
      Q: PERFILES-PROFILES
      Q: CON MANO AJENA
      Si su pregunta no ha sido contesta, por favor pulse aqu� para enviar la pregunta a un experto

      hda and hdb.
      Esta pregunta ha sido enviada a un experto para su atenci�n

      [root@rover jsc]# cat /etc/lilo.conf.test
      boot=/dev/hda
      map=/boot/map
      install=/boot/boot.b
      prompt
      timeout=50
      message=/boot/message
      lba32
      default=linux

      image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-14
      label=linux
      read-only
      root=/dev/hda3
      ide0=dma
      ide0=autotune
      hda=autotune
      hdb=cdrom
      hdb=autotune

      other=/dev/hda1
      label=winme

      --
      John Cronin

      Message: 11
      Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:56:33 -0600
      From: David Rodriguez
      Subject: Re: Re: partitioning (...)

      On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 12:06:24AM -0800, Stephen Lau wrote:
      > Thanks to David & cannon@...
      > I have a couple more questions :) Does the cylinder limit apply only to
      > the start of the partition?
      or to the end?
      i.e.: does the boot partition
      > just have to START before 8.x gigs?
      Or does it have to end within that
      > 8.x gig limitation too?

      As far as I know it applies only to the position where the kernel you want
      to boot is. The problem is that if the partition goes beyond, you might end
      up with the kernel in the wrong place. I am not sure in any of these to
      statements, but I think this way.

      > If all it has to do is start before 8.x gigs, then I was thinking
      > something like the following would work:
      > (note: i have 256 megs of ram + 32 megs video mem)
      >
      > hda1:
      > hda2: windows @ 3 gigs
      > hda3: /
      > hda4:
      >
      > if the boot partition has to end within the 8.x gig limitation, then I'm
      > not sure how to arrange my partitions short of backing up the existing
      > windows partition (tar it to my desktop over the network probably), nuking
      > the entire drive, and then repartitioning & restoring from scratch since
      > there doesn't seem to be a way to re-order partitions easily.

      I might send you an email later with some other configs, I don't
      have the time now. With a 20 g disk, moving 3G you probably have enough
      space in the disk itself. Shrink windows, create new partition wherever you want
      it (if possible with exactly the same size and just dd the partition info to
      the new place). Note that some info might need to be in a specific position
      (boot sector), so you might want to do a bootup floppy just in case.

      > with regards to VMWare..I have a license for 1.1.x - and I love it.. :) I
      > haven't tried the new 2.0 series, but I hear it's quite nice. It works
      > fine for the times when I need to run Office 2000 and other applications,
      > but alas...Rogue Spear doesn't work very well under a virtual machine. :)
      > (and yes, I'm willing to keep a 3 gig partition around to play a
      > game...I'm that big of a fan).

      The only reason I did not take the 3 G out of windows is Baldur's
      Gate and Half-Life. I do understand it :)

      David Rodr�guez Ibeas Undergraduate Living Form
      University of Iowa Universidad Polit�cnica de Madrid
      Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicaci�n
      Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain

      Message: 12
      Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:05:46 -0500
      From: "Robert Morgan"
      Subject: RE: Re: partioning (with regards to safe hibernation & 8.x gig limit)

      I don't know at which version of LILO the LBA32 extensions (enabling booting
      from partitions beyond 8g) was introduced but it was at least a year ago.

      Partitioning / with reiserfs was easy with Libranet. During installation I
      created a boot partition formatted ext2 and / formatted reiserfs. In fact
      Libranet seems well suited for my Inspiron 5ke since it ships with X 4.0.2.

      - Robert