Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 349 - Part 5

  • linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2001
      I am using LILO 21.4, do
      you kown at which version the 8.x G limit is broken?

      Q: Medical Informatics: Digital Images
      Si su pregunta no ha sido contesta, por favor pulse aqu� para enviar la pregunta a un experto

      I would think you would want the Hibernation partition within the 8.x
      G limit, because this is a BIOS function?
      Q: CON MANO AJENA
      Q: Karger Publishers > Publications > Special Offers and Sales > Contributions to Nephrology
      Q: 42 y/owhite male - TIA
      Q: Plantilla
      Q: Alcmeon 11 -Trastorno obseso-compulsivo. Un informe actualizado
      Si su pregunta no ha sido contesta, por favor pulse aqu� para enviar la pregunta a un experto

      Originally I was applying
      it to booting and hibernating. Dell's mk2d readme informs you to
      create the hibernation partition first on the disk id the disk is
      larger than 8 gig.

      How did you get the / partition as a reiser partition. Can this be
      performed during the install?

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Robert Morgan" wrote:
      > Does the limit still apply to booting, or is this a hibernation
      specific
      > problem?
      New versions of LILO support booting from a partition
      anywhere on
      > your disk, beyond 8g. On my I5ke my drive is partitioned
      >
      > hda1 Win2k 20g
      > hda2 /boot 10m
      > hda3 / 8g reiser
      > hda4 /swap
      >
      > This with lilo 21.7
      >
      > - Robert

      Anyhow,
      > > I was just going to keep the windows partition as hda1, but now
      I'm
      > > concerned about getting s2d & the boot partition under the
      cylinder limit.
      > > It seems maybe I should do something like:
      >
      > If you keep the windows partition on 3 GB, then you have lots of
      > space to put the rest of the stuff before hitting the 8 GB limit (it
      is 8,
      > isn't it?
      ) The name of the partitions (hda1, hda2, hda#) should not
      matter,
      > just where they are in the disk. I don't know about the hibernate
      partition,
      > but it is possible that your system already comes with it. (Mine did
      not).

      > > hda1
      > > hda2 /boot (with LILO installed here)
      > > hda3
      > > hda4 extended
      > > hda5
      > > hda6 /
      > >
      > > I assume when I get it, probably all 20 gigs will be allocated as
      hda1 to
      > > Windows. Is there a way to move/swap partition
      assignments/ordering to
      > > achieve my desired ordering?
      Or is there a solution that will let
      me
      > > leave the Windows partition as hda1?
      If I can fit the /boot
      partition

      )
      > twice as much swap as RAM
      > Windows <=5 GB (Any number there should do)
      >
      > you still have around 400 M inside the limit (if it is 8GB, which I
      believe
      > it is) for the boot partition and I would not make bigger than 100 M
      anyway.
      > And you could also change the order to
      hibernate/windows/boot/swap/...

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > David Rodr�guez Ibeas Undergraduate Living
      Form

      > University of Iowa Universidad Polit�cnica de
      Madrid
      > Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I.
      Telecomunicaci�n
      > Iowa City, IA Madrid,
      Spain

      Message: 8
      Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:33:50 -0500 (EST)
      From: jsc3@...
      Subject: Re: Re: idebus=xx,!!I INCREASED MY DRIVE SPEED!!

      cannon wrote:
      [snip]
      > Amod Dani wrote me telling that it is not necessary to recompile the
      > kernel to get DMA working. The only thing you need to do is add the
      > following line to one of your startup scripts, probably
      > /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
      >
      > /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda
      >
      > It worked!! here are my results:

      [snip]

      You can do it for the CD-ROM too; first use /sbin/hdparm -i /dev/hd
      to see what the drive is capable of:

      For my hard drive:

      [root@rover jsc]# /sbin/hdparm -i /dev/hda

      /dev/hda:

      Model=H! ITACHI_DK23BA-20, FwRev=00E0A0D2, SerialNo=118LWZ
      Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
      RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=36477, SectSize=579, ECCbytes=4
      BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
      CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=-66060037, LBA=yes, LBAsects=39070080
      IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:400,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
      PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
      DMA modes: