Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 349 - Part 3

  • linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2001
      idebus=xx,!!I INCREASED MY DRIVE SPEED!!

      Q: Medical Informatics: Digital Images
      Q: HeartDrug: Journal Home
      Q: StudyWeb: Arts:Architecture:Buildings & Projects:Airports
      Q: MIRAPEX (pramipexole): Important safety information
      Q: Diabetes FAQs - What is the DCCT? What are the results?
      Si su pregunta no ha sido contesta, por favor pulse aqu� para enviar la pregunta a un experto

      You can set idebus=66 (on inspiron I8K all supplied drives are udma
      66 or 100) with append idebus=66 in lilo.conf

      Esta pregunta ha sido enviada a un experto para su atenci�n

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., ale@s... wrote:
      > just using the command
      >
      > hdparm /dev/hda
      >
      > will tell you wether your drive is using DMA.
      >
      > I have the lines
      >
      > /sbin/hdparm -u1 -d1 -c1 /dev/hda
      > /sbin/hdparm -u1 -d1 -c1 /dev/hdc
      >
      > at the end of my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, so that they get run
      > automatically on boot for my HD and DVD drive.
      >
      > On my I5k with the 10GB disk, disk speed as measured with hdparm -tT
      > increased from ~3MB/s to 17MB/s. That's over 5 times quicker!
      >
      > By the way, the -d1 switch enables DMA (as said previously). The -u1
      > enables interrupts during transfers, which DRAMATICALLY improves
      > system responsivenes during heavy disk access. The -c1 enables 32bit
      > transfers to the IDE chipset, but doesn't seem to make much
      difference.

      > Note, some older mobos and drives can't handle the speed, and may
      > cause filesystem corruption, which is why it doesn't come set as
      > standard, but I've never had a problem doing this.
      >
      > Ale.
      >

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., cannon@p... wrote:
      > > I just found the following site:
      > > http://www.linux-laptop.net/dell.html
      > > Went to one of the Inspiron 8000 entries and found this:
      > > "
      > > Test the speed of your harddrive using the command 'hdparm -T -t
      > > /dev/hda'. When you get a speed lower then 5 MB/sec your drive is
      not
      > > using DMA. DMA makes the drive 2 to 3 times faster.
      > >
      > > Amod Dani wrote me telling that it is not necessary to recompile
      the
      > > kernel to get DMA working. The only thing you need to do is add
      the
      > > following line to one of your startup scripts, probably
      > > /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
      > >
      > > /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda
      > >
      > > "
      > >
      > > It worked!! here are my results:
      > > [root@res-04 mrcannon]# /sbin/hdparm -T -t /dev/hda
      > >
      > > /dev/hda:
      > > Timing buffer! -cache reads: 128 MB in 1.15 seconds =111.30
      MB/sec
      > > Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 16.72 seconds = 3.83
      MB/sec
      > > [root@res-04 mrcannon]# /sbin/hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda
      > >
      > > /dev/hda:
      > > setting using_dma to 1 (on)
      > > using_dma = 1 (on)
      > > [root@res-04 mrcannon]# /sbin/hdparm -T -t /dev/hda
      > >
      > > /dev/hda:
      > > Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.16 seconds =110.34
      MB/sec
      > > Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 4.52 seconds = 14.16
      MB/sec

      > > Now if someone knows how to set idebus=xx, like I asked earlier, I
      > > think we might be able to pick some more speed on these 8000K
      > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Mike Cannon" wrote:
      > > > question 1:
      > > > My 8k Inspiron reports the following during boot:
      > > > ide: Assuming 33 MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override
      with
      > > idebus=xx
      ! > > >
      > > > Anyone know if this can be changed to something higher,
      > > successfully?
      If so to what, and where I assume in lilo.conf?

      > > > question 2:
      > > > Being that I am new to recompiles does anyone have some exact,
      or
      > > semi exact list of kernel options that get compiled in or
      modulated
      > > for kernel rebuild:
      > > >
      > > > Some examples would be:
      > > > Generic PCI bus-master DMA support, then you also need some
      other
      > > utility to config this.
      > > > All the different power mgmt choices?
      > > >
      > > > A config file from someone that is very fluent in the kernel
      rebuild
      > > arena and 8000 would be real nice.
      > > >

      > > > --
      > > > Mike Cannon
      > > > Infrastructure Systems Administrator
      > > > Management Information
      > > > Purdue University
      > > > 1061 Freehafer Hall (FREH)
      > > > West Lafayette, IN 47907-1061
      > > >
      > > > office phone: 765.494.6357
      > > > office fax: 765.496.1380
      > > > email: cannon@p...

      Message: 5
      Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:36:49 -0500 (EST)
      From: jsc3@...
      Subject: Re: Re: partitioning (...)

      > Thanks to David & cannon@...
      > I have a couple more questions :) Does the cylinder limit apply only to
      > the start of the partition?
      or to the end?
      i.e.: does the boot partition
      > just have to START before 8.x gigs?
      Or does it have to end within that
      > 8.x gig limitation too?

      It needs to *end* within the 1024 cylinder limit.

      > If all it has to do is start before 8.x gigs, then I was thinking
      > something like the following would work:
      > (note: i have 256 megs of ram + 32 megs video mem)
      >
      > hda1:
      > hda2: windows @ 3 gigs
      > hda3: /
      > hda4:

      You can get around ALL of this just by updating to a new version of
      LILO - that's what I did, works fine. My / starts and ends outside
      of the 1024 cylinder limit, and I don't have any /boot or anything
      like that (that's what I used to do).

      You might need to get the newer version of RPM before you can add
      the new LILO RPM (or you can get source and compile, but I recommend
      RPM).

      What I did is make my Windows FAT32, boot into Windows, download
      the RPMs I need, then begin my install. Once the install was over,
      add the RPMs and run /sbin/lilo. Reboot. Make sure you have a boot
      floppy prepared in case something went wrong.

      My disk is:

      550 MB hibernate
      8 GB Windows
      258 MB swap
      rest is Linux /

      Works fine and I don't mess around worrying about the 1024 cylinder limit
      any more. Neither should you.

      > if the boot partition has to end within the 8.x gig limitation, then I'm
      > not sure how to arrange my partitions short of backing up the existing
      > windows partition (tar it to my desktop over the network probably), nuking
      > the entire drive, and then repartitioning & restoring from scratch since
      > there doesn't seem to be a way to re-order partitions easily.

      Update LILO and lay your partitions out however you please. One thing to
      keep in mind though.