Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 349 - Part 4

  • linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2001

      Keep your swap and / contiguous, so you don't have to
      seek across the Windows partition in the event of swapping (assumes that
      when booted into Linux, you will spend most of your time in the / and
      swap partitions).

      I don't know if tar will work as a method of backing up and restoring
      a Windows partition (one with the system in it).

      I used Partition Magic 6.0, and I had no problem putting partitions
      where I wanted them.

      > with regards to VMWare..I have a license for 1.1.x - and I love it.. :) I
      > haven't tried the new 2.0 series, but I hear it's quite nice. It works
      > fine for the times when I need to run Office 2000 and other applications,
      > but alas...Rogue Spear doesn't work very well under a virtual machine. :)
      > (and yes, I'm willing to keep a 3 gig partition around to play a
      > game...I'm that big of a fan).

      I have VMware 2.0.3 and it works fine, but the video is slow - it won't
      use the DGA extensions in XFree86, even though XFree86 4.0.2 alleges to
      have loaded the DGA extensions according to xdpyinfo. So with slow video,
      games would be painful.

      --
      John Cronin

      Message: 6
      Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:26:45 -0500
      From: "Robert Morgan"
      Subject: RE: partioning (with regards to safe hibernation & 8.x gig limit)

      Does the limit still apply to booting, or is this a hibernation specific
      problem?
      New versions of LILO support booting from a partition anywhere on
      your disk, beyond 8g. On my I5ke my drive is partitioned

      hda1 Win2k 20g
      hda2 /boot 10m
      hda3 / 8g reiser
      hda4 /swap

      This with lilo 21.7

      - Robert

      Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:25:38 -0000
      From: cannon@...

      I have no knowledge of the newer lilo stuff. I'm sorry but I think
      what I did was post some dated information.