Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 347 - Part 5

  • linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2001
      safe Hibernation

      Q: Alcmeon 01 -S�ndrome neurol�ptico maligno (Cataton�a Neurol�ptica Maligna) - su Tratamiento con TEC
      Q: Plantilla
      Q: Is Subcutaneous Heparin a Safe Initial Treatment for Pulmonary Embolus?
      Q: Safe and Appropriate Use of Influenza Drugs
      Q: Karger Publishers > Progress in Surgery, Vol. 23
      Si su pregunta no ha sido contesta, por favor pulse aqu� para enviar la pregunta a un experto

      >===== Original Message From abiastoch@... =====
      >I think, that's the point. I would not like to run lilo one or two
      >times automatically. If anything goes wrong (which is likely) you
      >might end up with a messed up boot header and would not be able to
      >boot any OS.

      I don't know, but that never happened to me. If lilo has problems
      (wrong config...) then it does not overwrite the MBR, and just would
      prompt a message and do nothing. Of course you can have a problem if the
      system locks or turns off at precisely that time. In this case you would
      have to boot with a floppy. Notice though that this is a rare condition, and
      that the only overhead you would have is using the floppy, and this has to
      happen in a timespan of ms or us. (the time to write 512 bytes).

      Maybe something else can go wrong and I just don't know it, but that is
      my feeling. Other simpler option is not using a hibernate partition, but
      a hibernate file, if you do this, the system will automatically load that
      into memory.

      >Isn't there any lilo configuration trick or flag that might choose the
      >right option?
      Maybe one could choose the hibernation partition in
      >every case, so that
      >- if a linux state exists it restores
      >- if no linux state exists linux is booted from the linux partition.

      LILO does not have too much functionality. Everything it does at boot
      time has to fit in 512 bytes. I don't think that anything like that is
      supported. There are other boot loaders, and maybe one of them has this
      kind of functionality.

      In a lab in my home university they had a system that would create
      partitions, load data into them and then boot the partition. If that is
      possible, then it must be possible to do a system to just check what partition
      is marked with the bootable flag and if it is the s2d boot from there. But
      this sounds like killing a fly with a ballistic missile...

      >One would only have to avoid suspend windows to that partition. But
      >windows itself can suspend to its file on its own filesystem.

      David

      David Rodr�guez Ibeas Undergraduate Living Form
      University of Iowa Universidad Polit�cnica de Madrid
      Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicaci�n
      Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain

      Message: 15
      Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:44:20 +1200 (NZST)
      From: "Ryurick M. Hristev"
      Subject: Re: Re: safe Hibernation

      On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 abiastoch@... wrote:

      [...]

      > I think, that's the point. I would not like to run lilo one or two
      > times automatically. If anything goes wrong (which is likely) you
      > might end up with a messed up boot header and would not be able to
      > boot any OS.

      You are talking here about a race condition which:
      1. have a _very_ low probability (i.e. is very _un_likely)
      2. is very difficult to avoid
      3. is easy to fix (boot floppy, whatever)

      Believe me you have other things to worry about.

      In 6 years of usage on many PC's (at work) lilo never ever let me shoot
      myself in the foot unless (on 2-3 occasions) I really REALLY asked for it!
      (when I _wanted_ to break the rules by all means)

      --
      Cheers,
      Ryurick M. Hristev ()..()/^\/^\ -<:-)

      Message: 16
      Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 01:04:18 -0000
      From: don@...
      Subject: Re: safe Hibernation

      On my system (I8000) with the s2d partition under Drake 7.2 it worked
      fine the bios loaded the system before lilo could get to it.(with the
      stock kernel) when I upgraded to 2.4+ I can't get it to work under
      any circumstances.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Ryurick M. Hristev"
      wrote:
      > On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 abiastoch@u... wrote:
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > > I think, that's the point. I would not like to run lilo one or two
      > > times automatically. If anything goes wrong (which is likely) you
      > > might end up with a messed up boot header and would not be able to
      > > boot any OS.
      >
      > You are talking here about a race condition which:
      > 1. have a _very_ low probability (i.e. is very _un_likely)
      > 2. is very difficult to avoid
      > 3. is easy to fix (boot floppy, whatever)
      >
      > Believe me you have other things to worry about.
      >
      > In 6 years of usage on many PC's (at work) lilo never ever let me
      shoot
      > myself in the foot unless (on 2-3 occasions) I really REALLY asked
      for it!
      > (when I _wanted_ to break the rules by all means)
      >
      > --
      > Cheers,

      > Ryurick M. Hristev ()..()/^\/^\ -
      <:-)
      > R.Hristev@p... \/ \#/\#/\) What opinions ?

      Message: 17
      Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:13:25 -0800
      From: Stephen Lau
      Subject: s2r vs. s2d

      I just ordered an Inspiron 8000 - but don't have it yet, but I do have a
      question that someone can probably answer for me.

      I've been reading through the message archive about s2d problems (most
      specifically the latest "safe hibernation" thread). There don't seem to
      be any problems with people doing suspend to ram (s2r) - so why are people
      using s2d in the first place anyway?
      What are the benefits of one vs. the
      other?

      cheers,
      stephen
      "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth
      and remove all doubt."

      Message: 18
      Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:25:19 -0500 (EST)
      From: jsc3@...