Battery (Li-Ion) questions

  • Ryurick M. Hristev
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2001
      Hello all,

      I do not know much about the Lithium-Ion technology and even less about
      the so-called "smart" batteries, so here are my questions:

      1. The Ni-Ca have a strong memory effect, NiMH somehow less. How are the
      Li-Ion batteries in this respect ? AFAIK they have a (very ?) small
      memory effect but ...

      2. In view of 1. (or other issues): Is it OK to keep them fully charged
      at all times (plugged in) ? Or is it OK to do only e.g. half-cycles
      (discharging only by 1/2 before recharging) ? Or is it best to do full
      cycles only, to maximize the life span ? Does the embedded "controller"
      takes care of this (and I shouldn't worry) ?

      3. What is the expected life span of these batteries ? IIRC, I've read
      somewhere that is about 400 cycles. Do incomplete cycles (e.g. 1/2) affect
      this ?

      TIA for any reply.

      --
      Cheers,
      Ryurick M. Hristev ()..()/^\/^\ -<:-)
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2001
        >1. The Ni-Ca have a strong memory effect, NiMH somehow less. How are the
        > Li-Ion batteries in this respect ? AFAIK they have a (very ?) small
        > memory effect

        True.

        >2. In view of 1. (or other issues): Is it OK to keep them fully charged
        > at all times (plugged in)

        Yes

        > Or is it OK to do only e.g. half-cycles (discharging only by 1/2 before recharging)?

        Yes

        > Does the embedded "controller" takes care of this (and I shouldn't worry) ?

        Yes (you will give yourself an ulcer if you keep worrying like this!)

        > I've read
        > somewhere that is about 400 cycles. Do incomplete cycles (e.g. 1/2) affect
        > this ?

        This means after 400 full cycles you will see a noticeable drop in capacity. I
        think that 1/2 cycles will wear the battery out more slowly.

        >TIA for any reply.

        the battery in and run the laptop off external power whenever it is available.

        Richard

        Richard Simpson
        Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
        rsimpson@...