Modem and internet Configuration.

  • ezouanet@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2001
      Can somebody help me to install and configure my 3com mini-pci 56k V90 modem with linux. I don't know how to do it. I always need to come in windows enviroment to use my internet connection. I want to do it in Linux enviroment to have some help quickly. I've got an Inspirion 8000.

      Thanks !
      --
      |------------------------|
      |Ingénieur Informaticien |
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2001
        from what I gather, the 3com mini-pci modem doesn't work under Linux...
        ... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I had heard it was a Winmodem
        type of deal, and that people weren't able to get it working.

        cheers,
        stephen

        On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 12:48:06PM -0400, ezouanet@... wrote:
        > Can somebody help me to install and configure my 3com mini-pci 56k V90 modem with linux. I don't know how to do it. I always need to come in windows enviroment to use my internet connection. I want to do it in Linux enviroment to have some help quickly. I've got an Inspirion 8000.
        >
        > Thanks !
        > --
        > |------------------------|
        > |Ingénieur Informaticien |
        > |Personal Email         |
        > |------------------------|

        "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth
        and remove all doubt."
      • franchuk@interbaun.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2001
          The internal modems in the I8k are winmodems. Most winmodems are not
          supported in Linux. However, those that are (so called LinModems) are
          listed at http://www.mobilix.org/modem_linux.html or at
          http://www.linmodems.org . You should be able to find out if the 3Com
          is supported and, if so, how to install and configure it.

          Good Luck
          cam

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., ezouanet@n... wrote:
          > Can somebody help me to install and configure my 3com mini-pci 56k
          V90 modem with linux. I don't know how to do it. I always need to come
          in windows enviroment to use my internet connection. I want to do it
          in Linux enviroment to have some help quickly. I've got an Inspirion
          8000.

          > Thanks !
          > --
          > |------------------------|
          > |Ingénieur Informaticien |
          > |Personal Email         |
          > |------------------------|
          > Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
          http://webmail.netscape.com/
        • Matt & Miriana
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 11, 2001
            I am working on this as well. I am confident that our 3Com is
            supported. A driver is available for it anyways. Go to
            www.support.dell.com, and search for linux modem in the driver area
            after you have given them you system code. The driver for Redhat 7.0
            should come up.

            I wish I could be more help, but I can't seem to get beyon the "Modem
            is busy" message either.

            Hope this helps a bit,
            Matt