Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: partitioning (...)

  • David Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2001
      On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 12:06:24AM -0800, Stephen Lau wrote:
      > Thanks to David & cannon@...
      > I have a couple more questions :) Does the cylinder limit apply only to
      > the start of the partition? or to the end? i.e.: does the boot partition
      > just have to START before 8.x gigs? Or does it have to end within that
      > 8.x gig limitation too?

      As far as I know it applies only to the position where the kernel you want
      to boot is. The problem is that if the partition goes beyond, you might end
      up with the kernel in the wrong place. I am not sure in any of these to
      statements, but I think this way.

      > If all it has to do is start before 8.x gigs, then I was thinking
      > something like the following would work:
      > (note: i have 256 megs of ram + 32 megs video mem)
      >
      > hda1: <hibernation partition ~ 300 megs>
      > hda2: windows @ 3 gigs
      > hda3: /
      > hda4: <swap @ 512 megs>
      >
      > if the boot partition has to end within the 8.x gig limitation, then I'm
      > not sure how to arrange my partitions short of backing up the existing
      > windows partition (tar it to my desktop over the network probably), nuking
      > the entire drive, and then repartitioning & restoring from scratch since
      > there doesn't seem to be a way to re-order partitions easily.

      I might send you an email later with some other configs, I don't
      have the time now. With a 20 g disk, moving 3G you probably have enough
      space in the disk itself. Shrink windows, create new partition wherever you want
      it (if possible with exactly the same size and just dd the partition info to
      the new place). Note that some info might need to be in a specific position
      (boot sector), so you might want to do a bootup floppy just in case.

      > with regards to VMWare..I have a license for 1.1.x - and I love it.. :) I
      > haven't tried the new 2.0 series, but I hear it's quite nice. It works
      > fine for the times when I need to run Office 2000 and other applications,
      > but alas...Rogue Spear doesn't work very well under a virtual machine. :)
      > (and yes, I'm willing to keep a 3 gig partition around to play a
      > game...I'm that big of a fan).

      The only reason I did not take the 3 G out of windows is Baldur's
      Gate and Half-Life. I do understand it :)

      David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living Form
      University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
      Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
      Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain