Re: [linux-dell-laptops] partioning (with regards to safe hibernation & 8.x gig limit)

  • David Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2001
      On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 09:18:08PM -0800, Stephen Lau wrote:
      > >So I am creating the following partition structure:
      > >hda1 (boot from dos floopy and create this first with mks2k)
      > >hda2 /boot ACTIVE partition, LILO installed here
      > >hda3 <SWAP>
      > >hda4 extended
      > >hda5 /
      > >hda6 /home
      >
      > I want to keep my Windows partition when I get my I8000 - so I was going
      > to use PartitionMagic or FIPS to knock it down to about 3 gigs ( just
      > enough for Windows, Office, and Rainbow Six:Rogue Spear <grin>). Anyhow,
      > I was just going to keep the windows partition as hda1, but now I'm
      > concerned about getting s2d & the boot partition under the cylinder limit.
      > It seems maybe I should do something like:

      If you keep the windows partition on 3 GB, then you have lots of
      space to put the rest of the stuff before hitting the 8 GB limit (it is 8,
      isn't it?) The name of the partitions (hda1, hda2, hda#) should not matter,
      just where they are in the disk. I don't know about the hibernate partition,
      but it is possible that your system already comes with it. (Mine did not).

      > hda1 <hibernation partition>
      > hda2 /boot (with LILO installed here)
      > hda3 <SWAP>
      > hda4 extended
      > hda5 <Windows partition>
      > hda6 /
      >
      > I assume when I get it, probably all 20 gigs will be allocated as hda1 to
      > Windows. Is there a way to move/swap partition assignments/ordering to
      > achieve my desired ordering? Or is there a solution that will let me
      > leave the Windows partition as hda1? If I can fit the /boot partition
      > under the limit, but after the Windows partition - then I think I should
      > be golden - but I'm not sure if it will fit... any ideas?

      If you start with just the windows partition (3 GB) inside a 20 Gb
      disk you have plenty of space to create a new windows partition and dump
      the contents of the original if the software does not allow it, and then
      again maybe it does. Be careful because I don't know how happy windows is
      going to be in a logical partition. I have always used a primary one, as
      the first time I installed linux that was a dos/windows requirement.

      With this configuration (sizes):

      hibernate < 600 MB (considering that you have 512 RAM and 32 video)
      swap 1024 M ~ 1G (again 512 memory and kernel 2.4.x requiring (?)
      twice as much swap as RAM
      Windows <=5 GB (Any number there should do)

      you still have around 400 M inside the limit (if it is 8GB, which I believe
      it is) for the boot partition and I would not make bigger than 100 M anyway.
      And you could also change the order to hibernate/windows/boot/swap/...
      seek times when accessing the swap would be slightly faster and reading
      slightly slower, I don't think you will notice.

      David

      > cheers,
      > stephen
      >
      > --
      > stephen lau :: [slau@...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad student
      > "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth
      > and remove all doubt."

      David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living Form
      University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
      Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
      Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain
    • cannon@purdue.edu
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2001
        Two quick things. First I have heard people on here using a windows
        partition, fat16/fat32 for the swap 2 disk partition. Not sure of the
        specifics on that. That layout might require a very small s2d
        partition or something just to get the active/non-active partition
        thing working. If I remeber correctly, when you use the mks2d dos
        utility from dell, you have a couple options 1)mke a new partition,
        just for s2d, 2) make a small s2d and use some fat, and 3) possibly,
        use only fat.

        Second thing: I can't get the suspend to disk (or memory) to work
        under Linux. I only use redhat, mainly because my work uses it, and I
        have been using wolverine (post 7.0) with stock 2.4.1, and a couple
        custom 2.4.2 kernels. Some DELL guy on this list told me the next
        public beta or rh 7.1 (which should be public within 6 weeks) will do
        the suspend to disk stuff correctly, (he couldn't get it to work with
        wolverine either, but could with some rc 7.1 release). Based on that
        I should not be used as the end all source for the suspend 2 disk
        issue. If anyone want to give me a suggestion I'll try it.

        Did I say 2 things? Third thing. Have you tried vmware @
        vmware.com. This could eliminate your need to install win anything as
        an OS on the hardware. I'm a NT/2000 engineer for Purdue and we have
        been running Windows on Linux using vmware for a long time. I love
        this part too, Linux runs NT/2000 better than they can run them self.
        So I run 2000 virtually for all my admin stuff on the laptop now. Not
        sure about the game thing.

      • Robert Morgan
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30, 2001
          Does the limit still apply to booting, or is this a hibernation specific
          problem? New versions of LILO support booting from a partition anywhere on
          your disk, beyond 8g. On my I5ke my drive is partitioned

          hda1 Win2k 20g
          hda2 /boot 10m
          hda3 / 8g reiser
          hda4 /swap

          This with lilo 21.7

          - Robert

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2001
            I have no knowledge of the newer lilo stuff. I'm sorry but I think
            what I did was post some dated information. I am using LILO 21.4, do
            you kown at which version the 8.x G limit is broken?

            I would think you would want the Hibernation partition within the 8.x
            G limit, because this is a BIOS function? Originally I was applying
            it to booting and hibernating. Dell's mk2d readme informs you to
            create the hibernation partition first on the disk id the disk is
            larger than 8 gig.

            How did you get the / partition as a reiser partition. Can this be
            performed during the install?

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living
            Form

            > University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de
            Madrid
            > Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I.
            Telecomunicación
            > Iowa City, IA Madrid,
            Spain

          • Robert Morgan
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30, 2001
              I don't know at which version of LILO the LBA32 extensions (enabling booting
              from partitions beyond 8g) was introduced but it was at least a year ago.

              Partitioning / with reiserfs was easy with Libranet. During installation I
              created a boot partition formatted ext2 and / formatted reiserfs. In fact
              Libranet seems well suited for my Inspiron 5ke since it ships with X 4.0.2.

              - Robert

              I have no knowledge of the newer lilo stuff. I'm sorry but I think
              what I did was post some dated information. I am using LILO 21.4, do
              you kown at which version the 8.x G limit is broken?

              I would think you would want the Hibernation partition within the 8.x
              G limit, because this is a BIOS function? Originally I was applying
              it to booting and hibernating. Dell's mk2d readme informs you to
              create the hibernation partition first on the disk id the disk is
              larger than 8 gig.

              How did you get the / partition as a reiser partition. Can this be
              performed during the install?

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Robert Morgan" <robert@d...> wrote:
              > Does the limit still apply to booting, or is this a hibernation
              specific
              > problem? New versions of LILO support booting from a partition
              anywhere on
              > your disk, beyond 8g. On my I5ke my drive is partitioned
              >
              > hda1 Win2k 20g
              > hda2 /boot 10m
              > hda3 / 8g reiser
              > hda4 /swap
              >
              > This with lilo 21.7
              >
              > - Robert

              Spain

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 9, 2001
                I'm puzzled:

                I'm not sure what I'm missing here. I last loaded RH 4.1 a few years
                ago and prior to that, Caldera ND 1.0 (RH ~2) in early '96 the exact
                way in which I'm now seeing problems during install of RH7...is it
                because I'm up against size limits of my current drive? If so what's
                up?

                My situation: i8000, 32GB HDD

                Presently,
                W2k on C: = 12 GB
                D: = 7.99 GB
                E: = 3.99 GB

                I tried using fdisk (and disk druid) during RH install to create my
                install and swap partitions on the remaining available space ~ 6 GB,
                but the install can't proceed past the partitioning step as I'm being
                told "not enough free space" to create the mount points. (There
                should be ~6GB free here!). Where I see the layout in Disk Druid, it
                shows my entire HDA as 99% used as:

                HDA1 NTFS
                HDA2 NTFS
                --(other NTFS)
                HDA7 ext2 ~5.5gb
                HDA8 swap ~80MB

                Nothing should be on these 'new' drives. Any ideas? What am I
                forgetting/missing here? Should I use partition magic in some magical
                way to avoid this? I was expecting to install on HDA7 along with LILO
                and then make that the active partition...(until I hit this speed
                bump..).

                Thanks for any guidence..

                Bryan
              • Marc Fellman
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 9, 2001
                  The problem you are facing is the limit of primary partitions. You should first
                  create a extended partition and after that you should be able to create
                  partitions for Linux. If you have a Hibernation partition then you can only
                  create partitions by deleting first a partition that is next to the free space.

                  Marc

                  Aanhalen BL'Huillier@...:

                  > I'm puzzled:
                  >
                  > I'm not sure what I'm missing here. I last loaded RH 4.1 a few years
                  > ago and prior to that, Caldera ND 1.0 (RH ~2) in early '96 the exact
                  > way in which I'm now seeing problems during install of RH7...is it
                  > because I'm up against size limits of my current drive? If so what's
                  > up?
                  >
                  > My situation: i8000, 32GB HDD
                  >
                  > Presently,
                  > W2k on C: = 12 GB
                  > D: = 7.99 GB
                  > E: = 3.99 GB
                  >
                  > I tried using fdisk (and disk druid) during RH install to create my
                  > install and swap partitions on the remaining available space ~ 6 GB,
                  > but the install can't proceed past the partitioning step as I'm being
                  > told "not enough free space" to create the mount points. (There
                  > should be ~6GB free here!). Where I see the layout in Disk Druid, it
                  > shows my entire HDA as 99% used as:
                  >
                  > HDA1 NTFS
                  > HDA2 NTFS
                  > --(other NTFS)
                  > HDA7 ext2 ~5.5gb
                  > HDA8 swap ~80MB
                  >

                  > Nothing should be on these 'new' drives. Any ideas? What am I
                  > forgetting/missing here? Should I use partition magic in some magical
                  > way to avoid this? I was expecting to install on HDA7 along with LILO
                  > and then make that the active partition...(until I hit this speed
                  > bump..).
                  >

                  > Thanks for any guidence..
                  >
                  > Bryan

                  Dit bericht was verstuurd met IMP: fellsoft.homeip.net