Re: [linux-dell-laptops] s2r vs. s2d

  • David Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2001
      The 'problems' with s2d are (in my humble opinion) not such bad problems.
      The fact is that if you don't use a s2d partition but a file they disappear,
      and even if you use a partition, nothing should happen if you remember
      whether you suspended or not. The discussion is trying to find a way so
      that the user does not need to remember, but the system will.

      S2r works fine too, and the differences are... Well I don't know, I think that
      Suspend-to-memory should work fine and the batteries should last for a long
      time, so that it could be used, the advantage of s3d is that it does not
      use batteries at all, so that the system can be suspended forever, or you can
      change the battery ... without problems. On the other hand it is quite slower
      than s2r.

      BTW, in my i5000e I have 3 suspend modes Fn-A (s2d), Fn-S (s2r 1) and Fn-Esc
      (s2r 2). The difference (the only I found) is that Fn-S comes out of the suspend
      mode with any keypress while Fn-Esc requires the power button to be pressed.
      Anyone has information on this??

      David

      On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 07:13:25PM -0800, Stephen Lau wrote:
      > I just ordered an Inspiron 8000 - but don't have it yet, but I do have a
      > question that someone can probably answer for me.
      >
      > I've been reading through the message archive about s2d problems (most
      > specifically the latest "safe hibernation" thread). There don't seem to
      > be any problems with people doing suspend to ram (s2r) - so why are people
      > using s2d in the first place anyway? What are the benefits of one vs. the
      > other?
      >
      > cheers,
      > stephen

      David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living Form
      University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
      Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
      Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain