[linux-dell-laptops] Help with building kernel 2.2.14 Del CPi

  • Paul D Gilligan
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2000
      Hello,

      I have a Dell CPi running redhat 6.1 which comes with kernel 2.2.12.

      Now of cause Neomagic sound card not working, and I want more than
      800x600 for the display so I read the laptop info about Dell and they
      talk about using kernel 2.2.14 at least.

      So I have downloaded the kernel, I can compile it BUT:

      I am using LILO and it says that the kernel is too big to use zlilo, I
      have played and got the new kernel to boot, but there are module lists
      missing and other things in the LILO setup so I would like to use zlilo
      with a small enouth kernel. (or should I delete the Windows 98 on the
      other partition and forget LILO?)

      So this must mean that the generic config with the kernel that I
      downloaded(?) has too many enabled functions.

      So the question is has anyonne got the kernel 2.2.14 installed with a
      CPi/LILO and can I have a copy of there kernel config?

      or can someone suggest another way, I would not prefer to path the
      existing kernel.

      or where can I find the RPM for this kernel version? I have looked.

      Paul
    • Shiwu Gao
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2000
        Paul D Gilligan wrote:
[...]

        GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as 2.9%
        Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/915/3/_/4243/_/949491826/

        -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
        -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=linux-dell-laptops&m=1

        Have you tried bzlilo? I can boot with bzImage and bzlilo. It works for
        my case.

        However I have problem with module loading. It seems not load the
        modules.

        Shiwu

      • Neil
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2000
          On Wed, 02 Feb 2000 12:55:24 +0100, you wrote:

          >However I have problem with module loading. It seems not load the
          >module

          have you compiled in loadable module support ?

          Neil
        • Paul D Gilligan
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2000
            Super shiwu,

            I will have a go when I get home.

            Yes Neil is having problems with modules.

            Paul

            shiwu gao <tfys-@...> wrote:
            =343
            > Paul D Gilligan wrote:
            >
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > I have a Dell CPi running redhat 6.1 which comes with kernel 2.2.12.
            > >
            > > Now of cause Neomagic sound card not working, and I want more than
            > > 800x600 for the display so I read the laptop info about Dell and
            they
            > > talk about using kernel 2.2.14 at least.
            > >
            > > So I have downloaded the kernel, I can compile it BUT:
            > >
            > > I am using LILO and it says that the kernel is too big to use
            zlilo, I
            > > have played and got the new kernel to boot, but there are module
            lists
            > > missing and other things in the LILO setup so I would like to use
            zlilo
            > > with a small enouth kernel. (or should I delete the Windows 98 on
            the
            > > other partition and forget LILO?)
            > >
            > > So this must mean that the generic config with the kernel that I
            > > downloaded(?) has too many enabled functions.
            > >
            > > So the question is has anyonne got the kernel 2.2.14 installed with
            > > CPi/LILO and can I have a copy of there kernel config?
            > >
            > > or can someone suggest another way, I would not prefer to path the
            > > existing kernel.
            > >
            > > or where can I find the RPM for this kernel version? I have looked.
            > >
            > > Paul

          • Paul D Gilligan
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2000
              Ok I have tried the 2.2.14 kernel with the sony 2.2.13 patch and no
              luck.

              I saw the 2.3.22 sony patch, so down loaded it and the patch scripts
              runs ok.

              BUT when I do the make bzlilo it gives an error whereby a struct called
              dev in mn256audio.c does not have the member baseaddress.

              Also in the make xconfig stage the NeoMagic driver can not be found in
              the list of options with the 2.3.22 kernel...?

              Also I am having a real time getting the x-windows running at anything
              other than 800x600.

              Has anyone got a kernel config file for the CPi and a working
              XF86Config?

              Paul

              "paul d gilligan" <pdgilliga-@...> wrote:
              =346
              > Super shiwu,
              >
              > I will have a go when I get home.
              >
              > Yes Neil is having problems with modules.
              >

              > Paul
              >
              > shiwu gao <tfys-@...> wrote:
              > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/?sta
              rt
              > =343
              > > Paul D Gilligan wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hello,
              > > >
              > > > I have a Dell CPi running redhat 6.1 which comes with kernel
              2.2.12.

              > > > Now of cause Neomagic sound card not working, and I want more than
              > > > 800x600 for the display so I read the laptop info about Dell and
              > they
              > > > talk about using kernel 2.2.14 at least.
              > > >
              > > > So I have downloaded the kernel, I can compile it BUT:
              > > >
              > > > I am using LILO and it says that the kernel is too big to use
              > zlilo, I
              > > > have played and got the new kernel to boot, but there are module
              > lists
              > > > missing and other things in the LILO setup so I would like to use
              > zlilo
              > > > with a small enouth kernel. (or should I delete the Windows 98 on
              > the
              > > > other partition and forget LILO?)
              > > >
              > > > So this must mean that the generic config with the kernel that I
              > > > downloaded(?) has too many enabled functions.
              > > >
              > > > So the question is has anyonne got the kernel 2.2.14 installed
              with
              > > > CPi/LILO and can I have a copy of there kernel config?
              > > >
              > > > or can someone suggest another way, I would not prefer to path the
              > > > existing kernel.
              > > >
              > > > or where can I find the RPM for this kernel version? I have
              looked.

              > > > Paul

            • Alan Harding
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 10, 2000
                I also have a Dell CPi (R-Series PII 400)

                I downloaded the 2.2.14-1.3.0 Kernel RPM from rpmfind.doc.ic.ac.uk and
                installed it. I also loaded the latest PCMCIA-cs rpm
                (names are kernel-2.2.14-1.3.0.i686.rpm and kernel-pcmcia-cs.2.2.14-1.3
                .0.i386.rpm)

                The Pcmcia rpm renames pcmcia in /etc/sysconfig to pcmcia.rpmsave. I mv
                this file back, rebooted and Hey presto.

                I have to say though that the original problem of the sound not working
                and video resolution (under kde) was resolveable unde 2.2.12. The sound
                required 'insmod nm256' being added to the rc.local file in /etc/rc.d.
                I also have the resolution at 1024x768x16bpp and I can supply the
                XF86Config if you (or anyone emails me direct)

                Good Luck!!!

                shiwu gao <tfys-@...> wrote:
                =343
                > Paul D Gilligan wrote:
                >
                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > I have a Dell CPi running redhat 6.1 which comes with kernel 2.2.12.
                > >
                > > Now of cause Neomagic sound card not working, and I want more than
                > > 800x600 for the display so I read the laptop info about Dell and
                they
                > > talk about using kernel 2.2.14 at least.
                > >
                > > So I have downloaded the kernel, I can compile it BUT:
                > >
                > > I am using LILO and it says that the kernel is too big to use
                zlilo, I
                > > have played and got the new kernel to boot, but there are module
                lists
                > > missing and other things in the LILO setup so I would like to use
                zlilo
                > > with a small enouth kernel. (or should I delete the Windows 98 on
                the
                > > other partition and forget LILO?)
                > >
                > > So this must mean that the generic config with the kernel that I
                > > downloaded(?) has too many enabled functions.
                > >
                > > So the question is has anyonne got the kernel 2.2.14 installed with
                > > CPi/LILO and can I have a copy of there kernel config?
                > >
                > > or can someone suggest another way, I would not prefer to path the
                > > existing kernel.
                > >
                > > or where can I find the RPM for this kernel version? I have looked.
                > >
                > > Paul

              • Neil
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
                  On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:53:08 -0800, you wrote:

                  >I have to say though that the original problem of the sound not working
                  >and video resolution (under kde) was resolveable unde 2.2.12. The sound
                  >required 'insmod nm256' being added to the rc.local file in /etc/rc.d.
                  >I also have the resolution at 1024x768x16bpp and I can supply the
                  >XF86Config if you (or anyone emails me direct)

                  Can you mail the config to the List with your laptop model number/type in the
                  subject please. I'm hoping we can get as many different configs gathered
                  together as possible.

                  Also see the group home page, and perhaps if anyone has time we could add some
                  links to the links page. I added in a few.

                  The list is a really invaluable source of knowledge for dell laptop owners and
                  it makes sense to try and structure our collective knowledge & experience.

                  Neil
                  (ps - I'm the list owner !)
                • Paul D Gilligan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 11, 2000
                    Hi again,

                    Well Using Del CPiA, I have not had too much time to play with the sony
                    patch, the Free XF86 stuff and such, I did try and if it did not work
                    (compile, make,etc) first time then I did not go much further.

                    I have now all running under 2.2.14mdk (Mandrake, sunite.uio.no v7.0)
                    but I did notice that I have to use the correct sndconfig (from
                    Mandrake)otherwise it kept going on about this drive crashes with Dell
                    something 5000 do you want to continue....
                    ... but continuing , nothing happends.

                    So I now have music. video. and discovered kde x-windows. (Although as
                    you know I cheated with the xwindows. using xig.com laptop software.)

                    I think that all these comments were very helpful for the dedicated at
                    kernel 2.2.13 and below. If you move to 2.2.14 all of the fixes here
                    are in the kernel and so no playing around.

                    Also very good of the Oslo uni site to provide RPM's read for the lazy
                    people like me.... no compiling :)

                    Paul

                    =367