Re: APR, Inspiron 8000, problems booting in docking station

  • tom_newbern@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27 9:28 AM
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., dgtlfokus@b... wrote:
      > Hey all,
      >
      > I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 duel booting ME and Red Hat 7. I
      bought
      > the APR with it and it worked great when I booted the system with
      > windows only. After I installed linux I tried to boot the laptop in
      > the APR. If I boot the laptop in the APR, the dell screen comes up
      > for the BIOS but after that it blanks out the screen except for a
      > blinking cursor. The system boots fine outside of the APR with both
      > windows and linux. The only things I have hjooked to the APR are
      the
      > power cord and the network adaptor, which I also can't figure out
      how
      > to get to work. Any suggestions?
      >
      > Digital

      This seems to an ati driver problem. The driver defaults to the lcd
      display when X-windows is started. A quick work around is to use the
      Fn & 8 or Scroll_Lock & 8 keys to switch the video display to lcd
      then lcd/monitor then monitor. This is a pain considering it can
      only be done when the lid is open. The true fix is to upgrade to the
      latest CVS version of XFree86 and set the option "UseBIOSDisplay" in
      the video driver section. There is also a copy of the driver which
      should work with 4.0.2 located in the files section of this group
      under c800. I could not get this to work with the binaries but
      building a local copy of 4.0.2 source and adding this driver worked
      for me. You may also want to have linux boot in text mode until you
      get everything working.

      Good Luck
      Tom