[linux-dell-laptops] Re: ZIP or LS-120 on DELL Inspiron 7500???

  • AndreaG287@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2000
      I have the 6X DVD Drive and the LS-120 Combo and LINUX does not like the
      LS-120. Windows NT does not like the LS-120 when I try to install NT. If I
      want to install NT, I have to set the DVD to be a bootable CD ROM Drive.
    • tphopkins@juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Martin Krucinski" <mk@m...> wrote:

        > Hi all!
        >
        > I scanned the variuos newsgroups a little bit, and some HW description
        > pages for Linux on laptops but couldn't find anywhere if the:
        >
        > Internal ZIP-drive for the DELL Inspiron 7500 OR the
        > Internal 6xDVD / LS-120 combo work with LINUX.
        >
        > Does anyone have ANY experience?
        >
        > Do you need special drivers or do these drives just show up
        > as a regular floppy drive? /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1 ????
        >
        > Grateful for any tips!
        >
        > Martin

        I don't know about doing it on Dell equipment, but I had a LS-120 on a
        NEC desktop and Linux thought it was a hard drive with removable media.

        If you have just one hard drive on your machine, try setting it up as

        "/dev/hdb"

        in /etc/fstab. set the filesystem type to "auto" and "user,noauto" in
        the next column. This worked well for me.
      • tphopkins@juno.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001

        • k.lichtenwalder@computer.org
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2001
            > Message: 18
            > Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 00:37:39 -0000
            > From: tphopkins@...
            > Subject: Re: ZIP or LS-120 on DELL Inspiron 7500???
            >
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Martin Krucinski" <mk@m...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all!
            > >
            > > I scanned the variuos newsgroups a little bit, and some HW description
            > > pages for Linux on laptops but couldn't find anywhere if the:
            > >
            > > Internal ZIP-drive for the DELL Inspiron 7500 OR the
            > > Internal 6xDVD / LS-120 combo work with LINUX.
            > >
            > > Does anyone have ANY experience?
            > >
            > > Do you need special drivers or do these drives just show up
            > > as a regular floppy drive? /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1 ????
            > >
            > > Grateful for any tips!
            > >
            > > Martin
            >
            > I don't know about doing it on Dell equipment, but I had a LS-120 on a
            > NEC desktop and Linux thought it was a hard drive with removable media.
            >
            > If you have just one hard drive on your machine, try setting it up as
            >
            > "/dev/hdb"
            >
            > in /etc/fstab. set the filesystem type to "auto" and "user,noauto" in
            > the next column. This worked well for me.

            I have an I7K5. It's just as simple. Either you're using /dev/hdc (it's
            an ide device, after all) with either tar or mount, or you can link fd0
            to hdc (and thus probably avoid mistyping tar cvf /dev/hda for tar cvf
            /dev/hdc :->)

            Klaus