[linux-dell-laptops] Re: ZIP or LS-120 on DELL Inspiron 7500???

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2000
      On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:43:41 -0800, you wrote:

      >Internal ZIP-drive for the DELL Inspiron 7500 OR the
      >Internal 6xDVD / LS-120 combo work with LINUX.

      Zip drives work fine but not sure about internal ones. There is a howto on the
      subject - suggest you read that. Have a look at www.linux.org.

      Neil
    • AndreaG287@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2000
        I have the 6X DVD Drive and the LS-120 Combo and LINUX does not like the
        LS-120. Windows NT does not like the LS-120 when I try to install NT. If I
        want to install NT, I have to set the DVD to be a bootable CD ROM Drive.
      • tphopkins@juno.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Martin Krucinski" <mk@m...> wrote:

          > Hi all!
          >
          > I scanned the variuos newsgroups a little bit, and some HW description
          > pages for Linux on laptops but couldn't find anywhere if the:
          >
          > Internal ZIP-drive for the DELL Inspiron 7500 OR the
          > Internal 6xDVD / LS-120 combo work with LINUX.
          >
          > Does anyone have ANY experience?
          >
          > Do you need special drivers or do these drives just show up
          > as a regular floppy drive? /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1 ????
          >
          > Grateful for any tips!
          >
          > Martin

          I don't know about doing it on Dell equipment, but I had a LS-120 on a
          NEC desktop and Linux thought it was a hard drive with removable media.

          If you have just one hard drive on your machine, try setting it up as

          "/dev/hdb"

          in /etc/fstab. set the filesystem type to "auto" and "user,noauto" in
          the next column. This worked well for me.
        • tphopkins@juno.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2001

          • k.lichtenwalder@computer.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2001
              > Message: 18
              > Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 00:37:39 -0000
              > From: tphopkins@...
              > Subject: Re: ZIP or LS-120 on DELL Inspiron 7500???
              >
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Martin Krucinski" <mk@m...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all!
              > >
              > > I scanned the variuos newsgroups a little bit, and some HW description
              > > pages for Linux on laptops but couldn't find anywhere if the:
              > >
              > > Internal ZIP-drive for the DELL Inspiron 7500 OR the
              > > Internal 6xDVD / LS-120 combo work with LINUX.
              > >
              > > Does anyone have ANY experience?
              > >
              > > Do you need special drivers or do these drives just show up
              > > as a regular floppy drive? /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1 ????
              > >
              > > Grateful for any tips!
              > >
              > > Martin
              >
              > I don't know about doing it on Dell equipment, but I had a LS-120 on a
              > NEC desktop and Linux thought it was a hard drive with removable media.
              >
              > If you have just one hard drive on your machine, try setting it up as
              >
              > "/dev/hdb"
              >
              > in /etc/fstab. set the filesystem type to "auto" and "user,noauto" in
              > the next column. This worked well for me.

              I have an I7K5. It's just as simple. Either you're using /dev/hdc (it's
              an ide device, after all) with either tar or mount, or you can link fd0
              to hdc (and thus probably avoid mistyping tar cvf /dev/hda for tar cvf
              /dev/hdc :->)

              Klaus