[linux-dell-laptops] ATI Mobility P3D and X

  • jeff-home@cyncore.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 1999
      Hi there,

      I've just purcased an I7K and have been trying to get Linux up and
      running on it. So far I've got linux running ok but I can't get X to
      work on it at all. Is the ATI Mobility P3D 8M card supported and does
      anyone here use it successfully in anything beyond VGA mode? I am
      quite happy buying a commercial server if it would work alhtough I
      haven't had any luck with AccelX's demo.

      Jeff
    • Neil
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 1999
        On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 14:16:55 -0700, you wrote:

        > Is the ATI Mobility P3D 8M card supported and does
        >anyone here use it successfully in anything beyond VGA mode? I am
        >quite happy buying a commercial server if it would work alhtough I
        >haven't had any luck with AccelX's demo.

        always the best place to get a definitive answer is the X free86 FAQ - see
        www.linux.org. Have you found the linux hardware database ? See

        http://lhd.datapower.com/

        SusE might offer a commercial server that suits.

        Neil
      • cbueche@worldcom.ch
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3 1:37 AM

          you could run with FrameBuffer. See :

          http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/
          http://rosebud.sps.queensu.ca/~edd/lcpt333.html
          http://www.searchlinux.com/cgi-perl/messageview.pl?midx=243439&tidx=300
          936&page=1&qidx=87272&vtype=0

          fro vesavb X example.

          Charles

        • dcltd@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10 6:59 PM
            Hi Jeff,

            Looks like I am doing the same.
            I have linux on the I7K with an ATI Rage
            Pro LT. I have tried most of the servers
            and have not even managed to get VGA
            working with X windows. I would certainly be
            interested any success you might have.

            Richard Hudson

            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/?start=32