[linux-dell-laptops] Help-terminal connection using direct serial cables

  • Muddasar Ahmed
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2000
      Hi
      I am new to unix environment so pardon me for asking a
      very plain question.
      How can I connect to another unix machine from Redhat
      or solaris box using serial cable directly connected
      to serial port of one machine to another.
      Reason I am asking this is that I am currently palying
      with RedHat and Solaris on Intel. I use Hyperterminal
      on Win95 machine to connect to my routers console
      port. I was not able to find any thing in Solairs or
      RedHat documentation that will allow me to do so. I
      am trying to get into using Linux for network
      troubleshooting due to abunance of utilities
      available. IP based connectivity has been working for
      me, but I could not figure out the console connections
      to routers, switches and other unix machines. In my
      daily work every now and then I run into a machine
      that has no connectivity to the network and only way
      to talk to the box is to direct console connection by
      using Hyperterminal set to com1 on win95.
      Any help will be welcomed.
      Best Regards,
      Muddasar
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Neil
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2000
        On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 22:33:24 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

        >I am new to unix environment so pardon me for asking a
        >very plain question

        please try comp.os.linux.misc newsgroup - they are very helpful there

        This list is about setting up linux on dell laptops.

        Thanks