Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Urgent!! Lost track of all my Linux partitions

  • bvermeul@blackstar.nl
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5 12:50 AM
      > I have installed Mandrake 7.2 on my Dell Inspiron with Win98 in dual
      > boot mode a few months ago. I use to work on Linux partitions and
      > occasionally boot to Win98. However, today I was out of my mind that
      > when I booted to Win98, and did a norton virus scanning for my Win98
      > partition. However, as I installed Win98 and norton antivirus before
      > the installation of Linux, the virus scanner reported to me that there
      > was a mismatch on the master boot record as compared to its record. As
      > I have completely forgot about this mismatch was coming from my Linux
      > partitions and LILO setting, and I instructed the norton scanner to
      > repair the master boot record. Now I have lost track of all my Linux
      > partitions the master boot record is replaced by the previous image.
      > The worst is I have forgot on the exact size of my Linux partitions
      > and I did not have any rescue disks on my system (as I used to not
      > creating that - that is my big mistake too.)
      >
      > Could anybody give me some useful advices on how to recover those
      > partitions?

      Trial and error. Get a boot/rescue disk, try to find out your partitions,
      and run fsck on said partition. It will tell you if it's right. Check the
      size the ext2 fs thinks it is with the size the partition is. If too
      small, enlarge, if too big, size up. Rince and repeat untill fs is
      salvaged.

      Hope this helps,

      Bas Vermeulen

      --