Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Video driver bug? [was:How do I convince... to stop searching for the Ethernet?]

  • Matthew Geier
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2001
      cosmint@... wrote:

      > I have further tracked down the problem I had with the 1 minute
      > slowdown when booting Linux Mandrake 7.1 on Dell Latitude CPxj.
      >
      > I now suspect it's not the Ethernet, but a bug in the video card that
      > is guilty of doing the nasty thing.
      >
      > I think that because the system boots fine until it gets to the
      > console login (it shows the text-mode penguin and asks for login).
      > Then, the X graphics mode starts automatically (KDE), and *here* is
      > where the system waits for 1 minute. I believe the network is
      > already initialized at this point.

      It is probably trying to use the DNS to look up its own name. I had my
      RedHat system do something similar 'off the wire'. Gnome effectively
      hung when I tried to login. (It was trashing swap space).

      Putting the systems own name in /etc/hosts fixed it. I assume it asks
      for its own IP address several time during the startup of the GUI, and
      each time, it asked each DNS server in turn and waited for a response
      each time.
      Make sure the system's own name is in /etc/hosts and make sure
      nsswitch.conf has it set to look at /etc/hosts before trying the DNS.