i8000 Mobility Rage XFree improved CFG file.

  • moch_v_dove@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2001
      Sorry guys for the repost, but I don't think anyone saw this since it
      was at the end of last month, this is good info for the i8000

      Hey everyone,

      I just bought by my i8000 Dell and been working on it for a little
      less then a week. I found some info here and some other places that
      had a XF86Cfg file to get the high resolution. That worked fine.. but
      the only problem was that screensavers and everything was slow and
      CHOPPY..... I figured out how to speed things up a bit.. The old cfg
      file had some uneffecient values in it.. I tweeked them a bit and now
      in XFree86 V4 it runs much better.. .change your Device section for
      he card to this:

      Section "Device"
      Identifier "Card0"
      Driver "ati"
      ChipSet "ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP)"
      VendorName "ATI"
      VideoRam 32768
      BoardName "Rage 128 Mobility LF"
      BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
      EndSection

      Of course you may have to change the Identfier.... If you have a
      diffrent Chipset (RL?) You can just modify the ChipSet ID to reflect
      the extention it *should* work.. but if it doesn't check your X log
      file, it will list the ChipSets supported.... Oh Yeah..

      Now if anyone would be so kind as to tell me how to make my sound
      not so freaking choppy, I am using the newest Alsa Drivers.

      God Bless,
      James
    • bvermeul@blackstar.nl
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2001
        > Of course you may have to change the Identfier.... If you have a
        > diffrent Chipset (RL?) You can just modify the ChipSet ID to reflect
        > the extention it *should* work.. but if it doesn't check your X log
        > file, it will list the ChipSets supported.... Oh Yeah..
        >
        > Now if anyone would be so kind as to tell me how to make my sound
        > not so freaking choppy, I am using the newest Alsa Drivers.

        Try the OSS driver in the 2.4.2 kernel. Works like a charm on my i8k.

        Bas Vermeulen

        --
        "God, root, what is difference?"
        -- Pitr, User Friendly

        "God is more forgiving."
        -- Dave Aronson
      • moch_v_dove@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2001

          > Try the OSS driver in the 2.4.2 kernel. Works like a charm on my
          i8k.

          > Bas Vermeulen
          >
          > --

          I tried it, but it freezes up the laptop when esd starts up, any
          suggestions?

          James
        • bvermeul@blackstar.nl
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2001
            > I tried it, but it freezes up the laptop when esd starts up, any
            > suggestions?

            I'm running 2.4.2-ac11 myself without a problem... Maybe try that one?

            Regards,

            Bas Vermeulen

            --
            "God, root, what is difference?"